Newbie Needs Help With Several Cake Design Elements

Decorating By Raufikat Updated 28 Apr 2019 , 4:22am by kakeladi

Raufikat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raufikat Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 11

Hello lovely cakers!

I usually make single tier buttercream cakes that people enjoy. They come back asking for tiered beauties and I’ve turned them away for over 2 years. However I think it’s time to move up and I have tentatively accepted a cake order for this. I would appreciate any help you can offer in these areas:

1. What sizes are the tiers?

2. How do you achieve the black lines and gold lines on the bottom tier?

3. How do you achieve the overall effect on the second tier? 

The customer wants it all in buttercream.

Thank you in advance! I hope to come back and show you a beautiful, completed cake!

Newbie Needs Help With Several Cake Design Elements

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 11

1st off the size of the tiers will depend on how many servings you need   The pictured cake is probably 12”x8”; the center an 8” x3” & the top one a 6”x4”   I’d  say that real ribbons were used    A  very doable cake in b’cream   So 3 tier cake w/gumpaste flowers  the bottom tier being made up of two 4” tall cakes w/a cake board between the two then treated as one    The center tier is covered in gold sanding  (course sugar crystals) or “dragees”  & the top tier just has a thin ribbon around the bottom edge    It also looks like some of the gold dragees are placed on the bottom of the bottom tier /cover the bottom  board 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 11

same proportion -- i'm thinking 9x6x4 -- 'cause that's probably a 12" footed plated there underneath -- could be even smaller -- ribbon and horizontal lines like that are incredibly unforgiving -- me, I would do an icing image for the bottom black lines or a stencil -- but that one super skinny line at the top of the black lines looks like a killer there in a stencil -- would be easier to cut that off an icing image -- the gold could be done in a ribbon -- but precision cakes like this are difficult to get that perfect --

the sequins -- evil cake genius and probably other places have a mold you can get or the sequins themselves which is much less expensive

https://evilcakegenius.com/horizontal-stripe-quarter-inch-mesh-stencil.html

https://evilcakegenius.com/horizontal-stripe-quarter-inch-mesh-stencil-shortened.html

don't ask me why she has two the same size ^^^ maybe the one that costs more is a newer shipment -- and her cost went up?

https://evilcakegenius.com/sprinkles-sequins-gold.html -- out of stock 

https://evilcakegenius.com/sprinkles-gold-sequins.html-- in stock

https://evilcakegenius.com/impression-mat-confetti-already.html

-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 11

maybe an 8x5x4

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 11

K8 how do you find all those molds and such? :)   I just don't think of such as there were few around at least that I could afford!  It makes decorting sooo much easier but less affordable to most. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 11

This will be tough, especially if no icing images to do those thin, perfect lines.

Quote by @Raufikat on 6 hours ago

The customer wants it all in buttercream.

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 11

Using real ribbon on a b'creamed cake should do the trick.  And using an Edible Image also should be considered 'all b'cream'.  However it's up the the poster to know the customer better than we.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 11

the flowers are not buttercream either

-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 11

Quote by @kakeladi on 3 hours ago

K8 how do you find all those molds and such? :)   I just don't think of such as there were few around at least that I could afford!  It makes decorting sooo much easier but less affordable to most. 

i've perused evil cake genius' webpage -- oh she's got some delicious stuff -- yeah it's pricey but wow so cool -- 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 28 Apr 2019 , 3:05am
post #10 of 11

The thin gold on the top tier and the gold on the bottom tier are the same ribbon.  And the black & white is a wider ribbon - - easy peasy.  The gold sequins are probably flat sprinkles sprayed gold.  All in all, a fairly easy cake to do.  Just make sure your buttercream is well crusted before you add the ribbons.

kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2019 , 4:22am
post #11 of 11

Cakefan exactly what I would do  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%