Stabilizing Icing

Decorating By KatyN Updated 24 Apr 2019 , 6:27pm by -K8memphis

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 14

Just got confirmation.

The reception is same location as the ceremon - a barn.  There’s A/C but no insulation so it’s anyone’s guess how cool it will be.

It is supposed to average 83 degrees!

In a BARN!

Help please!

1.  The top tier is going to have a whipped frosting.  I think it’ll be like a cooked frosting.  Because the groom doesn’t want frosting that’s too sweet.

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 14

what’s your question?

KatyN Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 14

The best way to stabilize frosting -  both American and whipped.  Without changing the texture too much hopefully.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 14

i’m not being obtuse — just trying to narrow down what you’re after — by stabilize what do you mean? 

whipped icing that doesn’t melt in heat?— doesn’t need refrigeration? both?

there’s a kosher whipped icing that doesn’t require refrigeration — it comes frozen — thaws to a liquid, you whip it up and I can’t remember the name of it —

does rich’s bettercreme  need to be kept cold after whipping anybody — i can’t remember — but there’s another famous one I can’t remember the name of ...someone will come up with it — did it start with a ‘p’?

i checked google, can’t find it — i’ll keep looking...

-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 14

pastry pride -- but maybe they stopped making it

I guess bettercreme is the new one but i'm not positive it can be left out -- someone will pipe up and tell us i'm sure -- but look for kosher products they will have non dairy icings -- which are more likely to able to be left out

but all that to say whipped cream is never stable meaning it can never be left out of the fridge -- so the definition of stabilized can be ambiguous -- when you see a recipe like "stabilized whipped cream" that means an additive was combined with cream so it doesn't get all melty after it's whipped -- but like I said, properly whipped whip cream doesn't weep or melt -- has to be fridged though --

if someone says 'shelf stable' then that means something that can be left out of the fridge and not become hazardous 

KatyN Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 1:03am
post #6 of 14

So I’m trying to figure out how to make my buttercream more - heat resistant for lack of a better phrase. 

That website I posted give some suggestions (like adding cornstarch) but I’d love to know what has successfully worked for others so I don’t waste batch after batch trying.

The too won’t be whipped cream but a whipped frosting - this is what I’m thinking.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016330-ermine-icing

Again if anyone has successfully done either of those (buttercream and a whipped frosting) that held up to heat well I’d love to know how you did it.

really don’t think a Swiss meringue will hold up well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 2:46am
post #7 of 14

What K8 is trying to remember is Frostin’ Pride   It is made by the same people who make Pastry Pride   My X helped build their 1st facility:)   The biggest problem is it needs to be eaten the same day iced or it becomes very weird:(   And it might melt at that temp if there is humidity   I think you’re best bet is going to be crusting b’cream probably Using all shortening & extra butter flavoring 

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 2:55am
post #8 of 14

Oh &BTW for anyone using either PP or FP do NOT thaw it   It comes semi fzn in qt & 1/2 gallons just like milk.  so you just spoon out what you need & whip away   There is a learning curve to know when it is properly done— very hard to explain but it’s a slapping sound   Once you learn to recognize that the mixer must be stopped like NOW:)   Some people consider it less sweet but to me it’s just as sweet or more so than b’cream   The chocolate version is sssoooooo good!  

KatyN Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 10:21am
post #9 of 14

I’m going to make chocolate frosting so I think I’ll stick with vanilla for some flavoring.

questions (It has been forever since I’ve done a frosting with shortening).

1-Preference for shortening?  One bakery i worked we used Spectrum shortening.  I just don’t know how well it will hold up to heat.

2-Do you think there will be a big difference with a full shortening frosting or a half/half shortening/butter?  I don’t want it to have a greasy mouthfeel.

AGES ago we used to use something called Princess White to cut the greasy texture of an all Crisco frosting.  I can’t imagine what ingredients were in that!

KatyN Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 10:25am
post #10 of 14

As long as we’re on the topic of frosting - let me ask.

What would you do when asked for a whipped icing?

Maybe a whipped ganache?  Stabilized with gelatin?  I have to pipe it.

KatyN Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 10:47am
post #11 of 14

Just found this - 

https://www.yummy.ph/lessons/baking/stable-frosting-in-hot-weather

It’s about how a SMBC or IMBC are ideal for hot weather and good to pipe with.

Been a while since I’ve made those but they are delicious!

It’s going to be a chocolate frosting!  

By the by yes - those cakes are enormous with 4” pans.  I baked the layers for a wedding yesterday and for a 10, 8, 6” cake, it was 26# of batter!

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 14

Where I live our summer temps are usually no less than 90 ( like yesterday—already) & can go as high as 110 —with no humidity   I used 1/2 & 1-2 b’cream for all my cakes & never had any melting problems   I guess I’m so used to the taste I never noticed any greasy taste nor grittiness  I LOVE my b’cream!   Over the years I have tried several different ones but this is the one I used for the last 25 years or so  “2 of everything “  found in the recipe section of this site 

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 14

Oh & for chocolate I sub cocoa powder for powder sugar—cup for cup still using the flavoring of vanilla almond & butter 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2019 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 14

i’ve never heard of stabilizing ganache with gelatin — not saying it can’t be done — just saying never heard of it not to mention it doesn’t need to be stabilized imo —

ermine icing stays  fridged although I did not check that particular recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%