Idea's?

Baking By thecanadian160 Updated 23 Apr 2019 , 3:37pm by SandraSmiley

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 3:27am
post #1 of 7

I have been asked on request of my brother to do a two tier naked drip cake for a baby shower. This would not be much of a problem, except that the mom does not like buttercream (who are these crazy people that dont like buttercream?) and wants whipped icing instead. Normally, I probably just say no but my brother has been ultra supportive of my cakes,  and has even gotten me kitchen aid stand mixer. I have to pull through on this one.  My issues with this is a) how will the icing hold up to the weight of the cake b) how will it fare in the 2 hour drive to the twin cities  which leads me to c) if there is an issue with whipped icing could a naked cake be done in white chocolate ganache?

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 3:52am
post #2 of 7

I have no experience with whipped icing - I am guessing you mean stabilized whipped cream?   If you have a way to keep the cake cold, being a near naked cake, the whipped icing should hold up fine.  There will be very little of it to melt and it has to be kept refrigerated anyway.

Sedar Yenner has a video showing how to make a portable cooler for transporting cakes.  I've used it many times and it works really well.  The only thing I do differently is to cut out one side of the box (leaving it attached at the top so it can be closed later) and close in the top, making it easy to slide the in cake.  I cut cardboard to fit snuggly around the cake board so it will not slide around in the box.  Once the cake is in place, I close up the end and seal it with tape.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 4:30am
post #3 of 7

I agree with Sandra’s 1st paragraph   There will be sooo little  it should be fine  I’d even be

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 4:40am
post #4 of 7

Oh shoot posted before finished  as I was saying I’d be tempted to use b’cream for the drip again because there will be so little used       I don’t understand your ? a   Icing does not hold up any cake :)    & lastly I see no reason it could not be done w/ white cho ganash   I’m surprised Sandra didn’t tell you unless I’m wrong—which would’nt be the 1st time:)  

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 11:25am
post #5 of 7

Sandra- Yes, I should have clarified, i meant stabilized whipped cream icing.  

Kakeladi- I am worried that if I use whipped cream icing it will squish out the sides from the weight of the cake layers above it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 7

guys, all you have to do to stabilize whipped cream is beat it long enough 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, you could do a near naked cake with white chocolate ganache.  If the cake is kept very cool, it is unlikely the filling will squish out.  However, to be safe, you could fill the cake with white chocolate ganache, lightly frost the sides with whipped icing, the top of with the white chocolate ganache drip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%