Cream Substitute

Baking By mauramac Updated 23 Apr 2019 , 3:42pm by SandraSmiley

mauramac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mauramac Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone - please can anyone advise me on this subject. I was making a bread & butter pudding using hot cros buns. The recipe called for double cream which I don't use or like so I looked for a substitute and read that melted butter and milk would be suitable. However the melted butter and milk have sort of curdled and gone lumpy. I added the eggs hoping this would loosen it off but it's still very lumpy.

I'm loathes to waste the ingredients - is it ok to use it and is it possible to loosen the mixture so I can pour it over the buns.

Any advice would be so welcome - thank you.

Maura

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 6

It depends on what the dbl cream is used for in the recipe.   I don't see how melted butter & milk can equal dbl cream :(   Dbl cr is (in the US) whipping cream.  That sub won't whip up.  W/o seeing the whole recipe I can't help further or know if you could use it   I'm thinking maybe you need to whip it more - I'd probably try using a hand whisk to whip it - lightly at 1st and them if needed harder. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 4:13am
post #3 of 6

I really don't understand what you are talking about at all.  You said you were making bread and butter pudding using hot cross buns; I totally do not understand that statement.  As kakeladi said, a mixture of melted butter and milk in no way resembles double / heavy / whipping cream.  I get the impression that you are making a glaze for the hot cross buns.  If that is your intention, try heating the mixture , stirring over low heat or in the microwave, until the butter melts and whisk vigorously.  That might work.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 8:43am
post #4 of 6

Sandra,  a bread and butter pudding is a British dessert where sliced bread is spread with butter, then baked in custard-y liquid.  In Maura's case, she is replacing the sliced bread with hot cross buns for a seasonal take on the dish.  The cream isn't used whipped, it is mixed with the eggs and then poured over the buns before being put in the oven.

Maura, my usual bread and putter pudding recipe calls for just milk and eggs and works fine.  The cream would make it richer tasting, but shouldn't affect the bake.  I think it will all be fine if you mix the butter/milk in well - it will all bake together.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 6

Aaahhhh Lizzie thanks for enlightening us   After Sandra posted I did get the idea that the mixture would be poured on as a topping & now can’t see the/your simple answer:) 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, thanks Lizzie!  Now it makes sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%