Flower Basket Cake

Baking By GramCrkr Updated 22 Apr 2019 , 7:04pm by kakeladi

GramCrkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GramCrkr Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 10

Flower Basket CakeI was wondering what I should be charging for a cake like this period any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 10

base price of whatever you usually charge in your area for buttercream servings — $3 — $4 per give or take 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with -K8memphis.

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 1:52am
post #4 of 10

I just upped my cake prices to $2.50 per serving... that's the highest I'm willing to charge for my cakes at the moment. I've never sold a lot of cakes begin with (I do a lot of cupcakes) but I decided I would try to find some easy yet beautiful decorating techniques that would maybe grab some attention. I posted a picture recently of a cake I made and within a few minutes of posting on Facebook someone asked what the cost would be, they'd like one for Easter. When I told them they made a comment about how overpriced it was.

Anyway that story wasn't necessary... But a question for K8 and Sandra: a basket weave and flowers filling the top of the cake would take a bit more buttercream and time than the basic cake I had in mind when I came up with my pricing, do you just eat the difference on some cakes? Or after doing slightly more advanced cakes you whip them out just as fast that it doesn't make a difference? I guess I'm asking at what point would you start charging more than your base price for buttercream cakes?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 2:42am
post #5 of 10

You will always find people who think whatever you want is too much:(   Not knowing where you live & how much you have invested makes a difference but I’m wondering about your choice of words .....”the highest I’m willing to charge”.....  is that because one or two have said you’re to expensive?        I would charge about $10 more than usual for that size 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 4:37am
post #6 of 10

Well, in the first place, I charge a minimum of $4.00 per serving and I live in the sticks.  I would not charge additional because both the Russian tip flowers and the basketweave are fairly quickly done, much faster than gum paste flowers or models.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 10

yes having speed is part of the discipline necessary to succeed -- and most home bound bakers have no speed in any of the decorating -- this is an average cake design in terms of there being no upcharge for anything -- you use less buttercream underneath -- just a wipe around like a crumb coat and then pipe -- 

you do charge more for more advanced cakes though

so this cake is more advanced coming from the standpoint of just learning how -- from a professional standpoint -- no

kakeladi Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 10

Sandra said: .......  I would not charge additional because both the Russian tip flowers and the basketweave are fairly quickly done, much faster than gum paste flowers or models.......

Yes, I agree.  I was thinking about her being a 'newbie' and the fact that she states..........."basket weave and flowers filling the top of the cake would take a bit more buttercream and time than the basic cake "    For those of use who have decorated more & know it really doesn't take that much more icing or time the extra charge would not be necessary :)

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 10

As a "newbie" I obviously have a lot to learn. Thanks for the advice.

kakeladi Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 10

Hey, no worries.  We all have to start somewhere.   I wish you could see my 1st couple of cakes!  LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%