Charging

Business By KatyN Updated 19 Apr 2019 , 4:38pm by -K8memphis

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 19 Apr 2019 , 4:42am
post #1 of 6

My cakes are normally 2 layers.  I might have to change that for an upcoming order to achieve height.

How would you modify pricing  for that?

Thanks 

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2019 , 5:32am
post #2 of 6

Many if not most charge by the # of servings   There is no difference if the cake is 3” or up to maybe 6” tall Unless there is a cake board between the layers so it’s served like it’s 2seperete cakes  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2019 , 10:41am
post #3 of 6

a different thought on that — while it’s true that the number of servings is often determined by the footprint of the cake so a 4” tall and a 6” tall cake yields the same amount of servings — you are using half again as much cake and this gives a 50% bigger serving — not to mention increased expertise — so yeah I charge 50% more — also advise them they need larger cake plates as well

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2019 , 11:38am
post #4 of 6

Thanks K8 for explaining in better words what I was trying to say   As I mentioned above & K8 explained  if you make a6” cake into 2 “cakes” by putting a cake board between two 3” layers you should charge more 

-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2019 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 6

yes a three inch tall cake that’s six inches around gives a few less servings than a four inch tall one — like what, three less servings —

so if you don’t put a board in it’s a quarter smaller (than the traditional 4” tall cake) so nine servings — with a board halfway making it into a 2-tier cake where each one is three inches tall and 6” around it’s 18 servings —

this way you are selling the same size serving in each different size variation —

in other news — i like to use 5” tall bottom tiers and 3” tall top tiers in order for the eye to more seamlessly visualize the size difference upward getting truly smaller and smaller — and in that case I don’t adjust servings like I did in the above examples — in other words a shift of one inch in height is not always that big a deal in a tier cake but it can be especially in the smaller sizes —

i hope I haven’t confused the h out of you — please ask me something if I need to clear anything up 

blush

-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2019 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 6

so all that to say — my price and my serving size are identical twins — when necessary, I re-configure the portion size in order to secure the same pricing structure for the same sized portion with a one inch wiggle room built in -- that i use especially for smaller cakes but not for regular height tier cakes —

clear as mud? relaxed

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%