Chocolate Cake

Baking By KatyN Updated 5 days ago by SandraSmiley

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 6 days ago
post #1 of 5

I love the Hershey hot water cake, but find it can be a bit tender.

Wondering what you use for a sturdy chocolate cake.  Do you just assemble it with frozen layers? Use a recipe that has some sour cream so it’s a bit denser?

I may be trying a couple different recipes

Thanks.

4 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 days ago
post #2 of 5

I use the original WASC recipe with some slight variations.  I use the BC Chocolate Fudge cake mix.  I replace 1/3 cup flour with cocoa powder and I use a cup of freshly brewed coffee (cooled) for the liquid.  Everything else stays the same.  Turns out perfectly.  Sturdy yet moist.  Never had a complaint.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 days ago
post #3 of 5

Whenever I see someone say they make my recipe “with some changes “ I get upset BUT I agree with freckles LOL!   Yes I  have done exactly what she said 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 days ago
post #4 of 5

@kakeldai - I know better than to mess with perfection!  I have seen so many recipes where people say how wonderful it is and then go on to share that they pretty much changed every single thing plus some LOL!  That is why I like the WASC because it gives you the freedom to can change up the flavorings by using different box mix flavors, liquids and extracts without having to go crazy by messing with the solid base recipe.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 days ago
post #5 of 5

For many, many years Hersey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake was my favorite.  Like you said, KatyN, it is very tender.  When I started decorating, I wanted something a lot more sturdy and I also use the chocolate version of kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe.  I start with DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix (and add an extra 1/2 cup of cake mix from a second box to compensate for the reduced size of the boxes) and use half instant coffee and half instant cocoa in place of the water (using the amount of water called for in the recipe to mix up the coffee and cocoa) and add a package of instant chocolate pudding (dry).  For one more kick of chocolate, I add a couple of teaspoons of chocolate extract.  Honestly, I think it is better than the Hersey's recipe and it is firm enough to carve with ease.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%