What Tip To Make This Flower?

Decorating By giraffeflute05 Updated 14 Apr 2019 , 2:55am by -K8memphis

giraffeflute05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffeflute05 Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 15

I want to make this cake for my moms 60th birthday. Has anyone make this type of flower before? What tip do I use? Any tricks on making it perfect?

Thanks in advance!!!What Tip To Make This Flower?

14 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 12:11am
post #2 of 15

I am clueless and sure I do not have a tip that would make those petals.  I would use gum paste.  Maybe one of the other ladies can advise.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 12:22am
post #3 of 15

This may sound crazy...but it looks like they opened up a leaf tip a  bit and then made sure to round off the tip when they pulled away...

giraffeflute05 Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 12:29am
post #4 of 15

Oh I see what you are saying so just a large leaf tip and bend it open more! I didn't think about that! I'll have to try it!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 12:52am
post #5 of 15

giraffeflute05 The tip you need is 104. I enlarged the picture, and I do believe the petals are fondant or gumpaste. The centres look piped. There is a tutorial on Wilton on how to pipe the flower.

https://www.wilton.com/how-to-pipe-a-daisy/WLTECH-69.html

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 1:23am
post #6 of 15

Hold on everyone!   It’s NOT a daisy — it’s a sunflower:)  I know there’s a certain tip for those petals but can’t remember what # it is    Just looked—might be a larger version of # 62; 64; or 97 Maybe 95?   Can’t tell from the small pix in the old Wilton yrbk I have :(  

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 1:30am
post #7 of 15

I stand corrected kakeladi, it is a sunflower. You need tip #352, or a leave tip. Found a pretty easy tutorial.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/sunflower-cupcakes/

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 1:31am
post #8 of 15

You pipe 3 layers - start w/the 1st row of petals flat then the next row you slightly pull up at the end of the petal & the 3rd row gets pulled up even more   For the center pipe small dark Brn dots surrounded by small stars in a lighter Brn  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 1:32am
post #9 of 15

there’s a lotta different ways to make daisies and sunflowers — the ones in the picture can be piped like mermadebaked goods said with an opened leaf tip of the 67 variety with the little notched cut out vein/stem thing in it — the brown petals can be made with a cut parchment cone which is the leaf tip without the notch — the very center of the sunflowers on top look like dried currents — the centers on the flowers piped on the sides look like chocolate chips to me —

i really like the contrast of the  ‘penciled’ in flowers and the 3-d ones — sweet cake!

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 1:34am
post #10 of 15

It could be made w/gp but will have a different look   Those definitely are b’ cream piped:)   

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 1:38am
post #11 of 15

You know K8 you’re probably right about the center could be raisins or currants 

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 1:39am
post #12 of 15

I mean currants — the fruit — that’s what it looks like to me

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 1:41am
post #13 of 15

yeah doesn’t it look like that, Lynne  — ingenious!

giraffeflute05 Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 2:15am
post #14 of 15

Thanks for all the info everyone! I thought the middle was chocolate chip minis. I didn't think about other ideas like raisin or currants! 

I have done the sunflower with the leaf tip before but they didn't have much " thickness" to them like these do is why I wasn't sure what tip to use. I have some great ideas to play around with now! Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 2:55am
post #15 of 15

if I was adjusting my leaf tube for this flower - I would jam a #1 tube down into it to open it up — the petal comes out looking fairly rounded like you said, thicker, fatter, fuller

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%