Cake Flavor

Baking By KatyN Updated 13 Apr 2019 , 2:01am by SandraSmiley

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 13

I’m doing a three tier, groom wants chocolate.  That’ll be two of the tiers.

Bride is easygoing, said I could do another flavor for variety.  Some kind of white cake - my question is - just vanilla?  Or something a little jazzier?  

Appreciate any ideas, thanks 

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 12:30am
post #2 of 13

Oh... definitely do the *original* WASC recipe!   You can’t get any better:)   Then add a fruit filling like raspberries or lemon 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 1:47am
post #3 of 13

I would do exactly as kakeladi recommended or even make a strawberry version, which everyone seems to enjoy.

KatyN Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 2:20am
post #4 of 13

Is wASC always made with a boxed mix?

fruit - that’d be awesome!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 13

I think there is a scratch version, but I've had such fabulous results using kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe that starts with a cake mix, that I never bothered to try a scratch version.  I do, by the way, make many, many scratch recipes, so I am not a snob, one way or the other.

KatyN Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 9:26am
post #6 of 13

I may have to try that!!!

Am I correct that a WASC always has almond extract added for flavor?

She’s letting me run with it! - with the exception of the top tier they want to be chocolate.

I’m thinking the bottom will be WASC or vanilla - filled with B/C.  Middle will be a m

KatyN Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 9:31am
post #7 of 13

Rats!

anyway, one layer will be Vanilla or WASC.  Filled with B/C.

I’ll make a second chocolate, thinking of a raspberry filling.  I love having the freedom to choose!

may just cook down raspberries and make the filling.  Would you keep some pieces of berry or blitz it and put it through a sieve?

I welcome any other flavor combos, too!

kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 13

One does not need to *always* Use almond flavoring but I feel it adds a depth of taste  —especially when part of a 3 part combination   Just add enough other flavors to make up for leaving it out   Almond w/chocolate is soooo good you don’t want to leave it out    I had a student once who just could not stand almond & replaced it with lemon to make the 3 flavor combation of vanilla, butter & lemon   Her family was happy

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 13

To me, almond is as much a staple as vanilla, love it, especially in a white, vanilla cake.  I don't use it in all of my recipes, but in most.

kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 13

Oh & for that filling I did’nt have a stove for cooking so I just used the Henry & Henry sleeves which I could get seedless   If I made it I’d leave it chunky—some whole berries -unsieved

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 13

my classic white wedding cake had two fillings of lemon-berry and fresh strawberries inlaid in whipped cream -- then a grand marnier splash -- mmm

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 13

btw -- church people loved it the best hahahahahaha --

and if I was still doing cakes I would adopt the baily's chocolate poke cake -- glory hallelujah -- now That is a chocolate cake, ladies and gentlemen! well worth ev.er.y. calorie! serves cleanly too --

https://ermhearts.com/2018/09/22/baileys-chocolate-poke-cake/

see I don't drink but maybe once or twice a year if that -- so I love to spark up my cakes -- I mean vanilla is in an alcohol base too -- it's just a little hooch but man, viva la difference! whoo heart_eyes

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 2:01am
post #13 of 13

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Kate!  I'll give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%