Tree Stump/truck Cake

Decorating By KatyN Updated 8 Apr 2019 , 7:37pm by KatyN

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 8 Apr 2019 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 3

A new cake request.

Stacked cake, tree stump look.

She wants a truck spraying mud on it or driving up the side.

The groom wants a whipped icing - maybe for their cutting layer and the others traditional buttercream.

Questions

1-I’ve seen a mold for tree bark, but I’d have to use fondant for that.  Wondering how to do it with buttercream since that’s what they want. 

Been watching videos, if anyone has tips I’d appreciate it.

2-This will be in a large barn - wondering if I should do half shortening, half butter frosting to hold up better.

3-whipped frosting - all I can think of is the stuff on Walmart cakes.  My b/c is very light and fluffy, but for whipped - maybe a SMBC?  He doesn’t like frostings that are too sweet.

4-How would I do the mud spray?  Chocolate b/c?  Use stiff b/c to have the truck riding up the cake?

I’ve attached  photos the bride sent me.

Thanks for your thoughts!Stump/truck CakeStump/truck CakeStump/truck Cake

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2019 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 3

UUUggggggg!  I had a long post all typed out and when I sent it got the dreaded "WOOPPP"message :(   Then the whole site went wacky.  Had to completely log off the internet before I could get back into here.   Soooo let's try again:

.............seen a mold for tree bark, but I’d have to use fondant for that.  Wondering how to do it with buttercream since that’s what they want. ........wondering if I should do half shortening, half butter frosting to hold up                                                                                                                                  Is the mold shallow enough that maybe you could press it against crusted b'cream?     Here is a great recipe that can be made with crusted or not:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing    

...........whipped frosting ....... He doesn’t like frostings that are too sweet..........             This just slays me......icing is suppose to be sweet:)   Well many here have used Ermin frosting (AKA as flour OR cooked icing)  Also there are 2 products that are suppost to be non-dairy whipped topping for cakes:  Rich's Bettercreme and Frostin' Pride.  To me they really are sweeter than my icing (above) and I don't like how they 'airate' once on a cake over 24 hrs - meaning it's best to ice a cake at the very last minute -- the day of the event! :( 

..............-How would I do the mud spray?  Chocolate b/c?  ............   The last photo you attached is your answer.  Use very thin/soft choco b'cream and YES! be messy with it :)

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 8 Apr 2019 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 3

I’ll have to look into how I can use the mold.  Would be amazing if I can use it with buttercream!

I don’t get the things about frosting either - mine is a really good balanced recipe but it’s frosting and still sweet.  I don’t see using a SMBC and molding it to a bark texture.  Seems like am American buttercream would work better for that.

I’ve also seen a trunk done with chocolate shavings...interesting...

thanks for your help! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%