Copyrights

Business By Skleib Updated 3 Apr 2019 , 3:43pm by inthekitchen2

Skleib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skleib Posted 2 Apr 2019 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 4

I am still trying to get a better grasp on all these gray areas in copyrights.  I know not to copy characters and such.  But  for example, this picture I got sent with cookies that obviously reflect popular childrens book.  Is it ok to use lines from the book?  Is it ok to use these character silhouettes?  Also, in a world of pinterest and google images I get sent very specific requests with pictures of things.   Is it ok to be copying these cakes/cookies that others have done?  I do not claim to have designed them and feel like it is nearly impossible to track down the orginal artists and would take way too much time.  I struggle to find answers, some places say its all ok, others say not at all?    Thanks!Copyrights

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2019 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 4

My understanding is if something’s held  up in a court of law & anybody identifies it as the copyright’s then you’re in big trouble   Some copyright holders even go after your customer   Just because someone else has taken the chance & made those doesn’t give you the right to follow in their footsteps   Some copyright holders are more aggressive than others You might just be sent a “stop and desist” letter &it could happen years down the road —happened to Earleen Moore (a well known decorator)  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2019 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 4

you would be ok with the crown and the arrow -- I am not familiar with any of the figures but if they are copyrighted you know the rest -- I don't think they can copyright words exactly -- I mean slogans and things that would go on cakes/cookies -- if it was already specifically a baking slogan -- idk -- the easiest thing to do is avoid the whole thing like the plague but I really don't see anything wrong with the slogans if they are not associated with the characters in this illustration -- but I ain't a lawyer --

for example cinderella, the glass slippers, the pumpkin, the coach, as well as snow white, the poisoned apple, the mirror mirror on the wall are not copyrighted because they are fairy tales -- the Disney version of all that is fiercely copyrighted --

some stuff is fair use -- it does exist -- but yeah drawing the line can be exasperating -- 

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 3 Apr 2019 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 4

As far as using other's work for inspiration, I say just that. "The client sent a picture of a similar design by whoeveritis, and I used that for inspiration." I wish people would mention me on their clearly exact copy of my original designs, especially when they are following me and know I'll see their picture, but whatever..... 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%