What Happened To Sweetex?

Baking By momba5 Updated 30 Mar 2019 , 2:53pm by SandraSmiley

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone else noticed that Sweetex (hi ratio shortening) has changed?  When I bought it recently at the cake store I always shop at, it was called Sweetex Goldflex?? The consistency was much heavier and greasier than before.  The cashier said you can no longer buy the old Sweetex.  Has anyone else had this problem?

6 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 7

US banned transfat. All formulations have changed. Ugh!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 7

Just moving this above all the spam

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 7

how well did it work in your frosting.  I looked at the product online notice two different ones one with palm oil and another one I don't remember what.  Would like to know which one you bought and what the results were

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 7

As johnson60fus said, the transfats have been removed so it is no longer the Sweetex that we knew.  When I ran out of the old kind, I just went back to Crisco and yes, I am struggling with my shortening based frosting.  Fortunately, I usually use butter.

TheElegantEmerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheElegantEmerald Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 7

It may not be cost effective for you professionals, but for me (being mainly a home baker and health nut), the Spectrum Organics All Vegetable Shortening has worked really well!  I use it in my SMBC along with butter.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%