Should I Thaw Cake Overnight Or Just Take Out Of The Freezer The Morning I Am Decorating?

Decorating By monizcel Updated 25 Mar 2019 , 4:22pm by SandraSmiley

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 11:27am
post #1 of 5

I have my cake layers baked and frozen in my freezer right now.  They are not levelled.  I need to decorate the cake on Friday.  Should I take the cake out of the freezer on Thursday evening and leave it on the counter to thaw overnight to level on Friday am?  Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then level?  Or just take out a couple of hours earlier on Friday am and then level the still partially frozen cake?  In Southern Ontario so it is still relatively cold here-no heat/humidity to worry about.

4 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 5

Cakes do not take very long to defrost so you would be fine removing them from the freezer in the morning.  But nothing wrong with leaving them wrapped on the counter overnight either.  Comes down to personal preference.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 5

My preferred method is to thaw in frig overnight   It’s Up to you which way to go :)   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 5

mine is to ice frozen already filled cakes -- no wrong way

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 5

Like kakeladi, I generally thaw in the fridge overnight, but I have let them set on the counter for a hour or so.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%