Shoulder Injuries?

Lounge By Kayley84 Updated 25 Mar 2019 , 12:44am by SandraSmiley

Kayley84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayley84 Posted 24 Mar 2019 , 1:31am
post #1 of 5

Hi I’ve been a baker for around 3 years now, I mostly specialize in cake pops. I have early  degenerative cervical disc disease, and I have problems with arm/hand numbness and tingling (used to just be at night, now it’s randomly though the day as well) .  This past week I have been struggling with cracking and popping in my shoulder, and aching inside it. Do you think this could be baking related?? I am just now finally getting my business closer to where I want it to be, but I’m getting nervous that this is going to be a big problem. I’m a home baker, so I cannot just pass things off to someone else to do them. 

Does anyone  know if my shoulder pain could be from overuse when rolling cake pops? I do roll them all by hand. Any recommendations on how to treat? I have quite a few orders this week, plus an actual job in the evening so I cannot just rest :( 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2019 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 5

idk -- I have rheumatoid and I can't do much in the way of caking at all -- coming from where i'm at -- I would say to stop with the business for now, take care of yourself and if necessary get another line of work -- you don't want to get stuck on nasty meds with side effects worse than the reason you take them in the first place -- it sounds like you might have some neuropathy possibly carpal tunnel -- no es bueno, mi amiga -- anxiety and not resting make it worse -- sorry -- but nip it in the bud is the trillion dollar advice!!!

but let me say this too -- while it's taken me A LOT to get to this point -- I've finally gotten ride of 99% of my cake stuff -- mind you-- I've been at this professionally for nearly 50 years -- I thought I would send it to a second cousin, sell it, yeah no -- I was able to sell some lace mats to a friend but that's it --  because it was So Hard to face the dream was over -- THEN -- I heard about this orphanage in Bolivia who trains their kids how to get a job when they grow up -- and they teach cake stuff -- I sent all my stuff there and man do I feel great about that -- holey moley -- I couldn't fit enough stuff in those boxes  -- I had three 18x18x26 boxes and another box -- whoo whooo hooo -- happy happy dance 

so all that to say -- it ain't the end of the world even though it can feel that way for a long time -- it's ok to change -- not easy but if you don't care of you who will -- are your arms worth the few dollars you are making -- you have to rest -- you need a doctor too --

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2019 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 5

your body is getting more and more inflamed and you gotta put out the fire -- ain't easy

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2019 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 5

K8 said:.......   I would say to stop with the business for now, take care of yourself and if necessary get another line of work -- you don't want to get stuck on nasty meds with side effects worse than the reason you take them in the first place .......... anxiety and not resting make it worse -- sorry -- but nip it in the bud is the trillion dollar advice!!!,,,,.....

Yes, yes, yes. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 12:44am
post #5 of 5

Last year I was have symptoms similar to what you describe and the doc called it impingment syndrom, which is usually caused by some repetitive activity.  If they is your problem, there are exercises which will correct it.  You definitely should see a doctor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%