My How Things/advice Has Changed :)

Decorating By kakeladi Updated 21 Jul 2019 , 12:17am by SandraSmiley

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2019 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 7

I came across this advice posted by Jackie some 15 yrs ago - " 2 Aug 2004 4:32 pm FONDANT You should only refridgerate your fondant cakes as little as possible or not at all. I would say NEVER freeze them.

What happens is the fondant gets very gummy and loses its shape from the condensation. If you put your fondant cakes in the fridge over night, you will most likely wake up to your cake falling apart.

To store at room tempurature: Make sure you keep your fondant cake covered in Saran wrap or a covered cake plate as your fondant may dry out and crack.

One thing I like to do, so that the saran wrap doesn't acually touch the cake ruining the smooth surface or decorations, is: I place the cake in a cake box and do a quick saran wrap cover over the box. The covered cake will keep at room temperature for several days.

BUTTERCREAM Buttercream on the other hand can be frozen or refridgerated without consequence. " (end post by Jackie)

Today people freeze fondant cakes - I have w/o a problem. Of course I frz & frig b'cream cakes all the time. Interesting. Just like I was taught ab out rolling out fondant *only* roll in one direction. If you fondant gets long, life/turn it around - don't roll in another direction. When I watch all those tv shows I cringe when the roll back & forth in short strokes :) I always think "That's NOT how it's suppose to be done" HAHAHA. Some of those old habits just stick in the head

6 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 22 Mar 2019 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 7

That's interesting kakeladi, but I wonder if the formulation of fondant has changed over the years to deal with the issues or if fridges have improved and are less moist than they used to be.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2019 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 7

Interesting My ex was an appliance repair man but he retired more than 10 yrs ago so I have not kept up w/ charges I bet that has something to do with it

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Mar 2019 , 3:09am
post #4 of 7

As recently as when I started cake decorating, five years ago, the advice was not to refrigerate fondant cakes.  Since my experience was ugly, saggy, bulgey fondant when I left it at room temperature, I started refrigerating, against all advise, pretty quickly.  The fridge is a life saver for me.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Jul 2019 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 7

now days the fridges & freezers seem to  have less moisture inside of them.  In the old days the fondant was probably soaked with moisture from the cold air.  However, I still put my cakes in an airtight sealed package before putting in either the fridge or freezer to prevent condensation.

The old school cakes were pretty spectacular with details and all had to be hand made.  the royal icing, the royal netting & cages, the Lambeth style decorations, & the buttercream piping were all done by hand.  It took an artist / decorator with skills to create all those fancy cakes. No cheapie molds & shortcuts. I admire their skills.

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jul 2019 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 7

I agree, MBalaska!  What we call old school now is what I call real cake decorating!  I know I sure can't do it!

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jul 2019 , 12:17am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%