Whipped Icing That Can Stay Out?

Decorating By LadyBird719 Updated 15 Mar 2019 , 3:06pm by kakeladi

LadyBird719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBird719 Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 9:07am
post #1 of 8

I’m making a tiered cake for my moms retirement party. With the cake flavor/filling I’m doing, a lighter, whipped cream style icing would really taste best, but the cake is going to be sitting out for at least 2 hours at the party so I’m hesitant. Buttercream would be SO much easier, but does anyone have any recipes or recommend any product they’ve used as a good stabilized whip that can sit out? I’ve considered Rich’s Bettercreme but have also read it’s not the best for coloring, and I would definitely need to color the icing for my decorating. Please and thanks!

7 replies
MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 8

You can add some mascarpone to the heavy cream and it will be more stable....

also, some people add a packet of vanilla pudding mix to their heavy cream while whipping and that makes it quite stable.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 8

I have used Frostin Pride rather than Rich’s Bettercreme & it doesn’t take color well   It can be pastels but not deep shades   Consider using the recipe “2 of everything “ buttercream in the recipe section of this site   Sorry I can’t post a link right now Using my phone:(    It is very light &creamy — easy to use/pipe with   If you want you could even mix in some Bettercreme to lighten it more   If so I would recommend the two be mixed separately then mixed together 

kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 8

MerMadeI don’t think that would be room stable enough   Can it  sit out for hrs?

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 8

Kakeladi...I’ve made a stable chocolate whipped cream frosting with the addition of chocolate pudding mix and that stayed out for three hours piped in rosettes on cup cakes...but I’ve never left a stable whipped cream frosting out for more than four hours, so I could be wrong! Also, if you’re doing intricate decorations in the whipped frosting I’m not sure if that changes things?

Adding the mascarpone has made a stable whipped cream for me, but again...I only left that out for 2 hours. I’ve put it in the fridge and then taken it out and then it stays put very nicely, but I don’t think @ladybird719 was going to do that...

LadyBird719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBird719 Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks, ladies. I think what I’ve decided to do is FILL the cake with fruit and whipped cream instead and just ice the outside with a lighter tasting buttercream instead, because I need ruffles on the bottom tier and I’m worried anything other than buttercream won’t hold its shape well enough. Thanks again!

kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 8

The “2 of everything” recipe will be perfect for that:)   Looking forward to seeing your beautiful creation 

kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 8

Oh! Using whipped cream will mean frig’Ing it unless you use Rich’s Bettercreme but you probably realized that  or stabilize it like merMade said 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%