8 Inch Cake Help

Baking By Jessica32 Updated 12 Mar 2019 , 12:25am by SandraSmiley

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 13

I don't sell a lot of cakes but I would like to reevaluate what  I offer. I have a 3 layer 9 inch cake, I do not torte any of the cakes. I was thinking of a 4 layer 8 inch cake, so two cakes torted. Is that a good option? What kind of height would that cake have? Also, I use box cake mixes so would I use a whole mix for 2- 8 inch cakes? I believe the box say its for 2- 9 inch cakes. If that would work how would I go about adjusting the baking times? And lastly, what size 8 inch pans should I get: 8x2, 8x3 or 8x4?

Thanks in advance!

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 13

Quote by @Jessica32 on 23 minutes ago

I don't sell a lot of cakes but I would like to reevaluate what  I offer. I have a 3 layer 9 inch cake, I do not torte any of the cakes. I was thinking of a 4 layer 8 inch cake, so two cakes torted. Is that a good option?          What kind of height would that cake have? Also, I use box cake mixes so would I use a whole mix for 2- 8 inch cakes? I believe the box say its for 2- 9 inch cakes. If that would work how would I go about adjusting the baking times? And lastly, what size 8 inch pans should I get: 8x2, 8x3 or 8x4                             I prefer to use 2”deep pans   There are others on here who use 3”ers    I really like the look of an 8x4 cake   Yes I know so many are doing 6” tall & that’s ok too  —it’s up to you & your customer    Using 8x2 cake layers will give you a finished cake around 4 & 1/2” tall  after filling,icing and decorating   To be sure you get a full 4”tall cake I suggest you use the “original”WASC recipe posted in the recipe section of this site   If There’s extra batter make some cupcakes for your family   I know that recipe post is very long but taking the time to read it through is to find a wealth of information & the best recipe you’ll ever use :)   

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 13

I hope you find my comments in the above post:(   Using my phone to post doesn’t work well :(   

Jessica32 Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 13

I don't really know what kind of height I'd like...whatever is most common? I guess everyone probably has a different preference though. So you bake 2 - 8x2 cakes and torte? Each layer being 1 inch tall? How much batter goes into each 8 inch cake pan to guarantee a 4 to 41/2 inch tall cake?

Thanks so much for the help!

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 13

I do a three layer 8” cake using the 2” cake pans. The cake, with frosting or fondant turns out to be almost 5 inches tall, depending on which recipe I use.

A lot of my scratch cakes are exactly the right amount of batter for three 8” or 9” pans...if you use Kakeladi’s original WASC (which I do for some flavors) you’ll need to double it and then you’ll have leftovers for cupcakes!!!

Jessica32 Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 13

MerMadeBakedGood - thanks for the response. How much batter do you put into each of your 8 inch cake pans?

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 13

Okay so this might seem totally amateur to many, but depending on the batter (some of my cakes rise more), I put 7-9 cupcake scooper scoops in. Then I know there’s the same amount in each pan. I like it better than measuring out in cups just in case it’s too much when I’m done pouring it out. 

im sorry that’s not more helpful..I think it’s around 2 3/4 cups batter per pan but I’m not sure :(.

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 13

MerMadeBakedGoods said: ........if you use Kakeladi’s original WASC  you’ll need to double it and then you’ll have leftovers for cupcakes!!!.......

NO, No, no.  One recipe of WASC cake will make two 8" rounds. See  the original post  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe  to find in note # 10 :  This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10″ sq OR 9×13 OR one 8″ & two 6″ round;OR two 8″rounds OR a 12″ round; and other combinations of pans.

2" deep pans should be filled at least 1/2 to 2/3 full.  I never measure - especially by the cup--  as it is sooooo messy and inaccurate :(  Over time you learn how much batter is needed for any & all sizes you use.  Refere to note # 10 in my WASC cake post for some help. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 13

Kakeladi- you are absolutely correct!! But I was telling her how much batter she needs for THREE 8” cake pans.

i love using your original WASC for almond, confetti, coconut, lemon and other fabulous cake flavors. I always have to double it to get three 8” or 9” inch..but then we have a party at my house with the leftover cupcakes!!!

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 13

you asked:     ....... So you bake 2 - 8x2 cakes and torte? Each layer being 1 inch tall? How much batter goes into each 8 inch cake pan to guarantee a 4 to 41/2 inch tall cake?.........As I said before using 2 - 8" round layers each torted (cut in 1/2) with filling, icing and decorations should yeild a finished cake 4 1/2" tall.   Here are a couple of examples of what that looks like:   https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2222624/poinsettia       https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2016240/toy-story        https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1332705/chocolate-basket-of-strawberries

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 13

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying :(

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 13

No worries! It’s a privilege to have a conversation with ya!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 12:25am
post #13 of 13

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%