Make Cake Rise Higher?

Baking By martabell Updated 11 Mar 2019 , 5:45pm by SandraSmiley

martabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martabell Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 18

I'm using a boxed Duncan Hines cake mix in a Wilton cross pan. Is there's a way to make a cake rise higher than normal? Someone told me not to grease the sides of the pan - only the bottom, but it's slightly beveled and I'm afraid I might have major issues with it sticking. Will baking it in a 325 degree oven rather than 350 be better? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

17 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 18

About the only option you have is to add more batter   Neither way you mention will help   You can add foil around the edges (inside the pan) and add more batter   I suggest you use the “original” WASC recipe — the size is perfect for your needs here  

martabell Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks for reply.  I didn't want to use more batter if I didn't have to as I only had one box and didn't want to do scratch, although I did add subs/extras to batter. For future reference though, does the WASC rise high and stay that way? I always seem to have a problem with my cakes rising in the oven, then falling when they cool.

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 18

It uses just 1 cake mix and give you more batter therefore it will rise higher and stay that way.   It sounds like you problem may be that you don't let the cake bake enough.   Please take the time to read the replies as there is a wealth of information contained in the many ?s & answers there.   https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe   

martabell Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 12:48am
post #5 of 18

When I test my cakes, the toothpick usually comes out clean. It may have a crumb that clings, but never wet or near wet. I thought maybe if it cools too quick it might fall, but I'm not sure... Is there any other reasons why that might happen?

martabell Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 12:56am
post #6 of 18

One more question I forgot to ask: I usually store my baking powder and soda in ziplock bags in the freezer when making scratch. I buy Bob's Red Mill and I heard if you keep them in the freezer, they will stay fresher longer since they come in bags. Do you know if this is true or not?

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 18

Cakes should NOT fall when coolit   Sounds like you are baking them long enough   Don’t  understand what’s causing your problem   Re the bk’ing soda etc don’t use that brand so can’t say if it’s right   I would guess it probably does 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 18

You never have to keep baking powder or baking soda in the freezer. Totally not necessary. Storing at room temp or freezing, won’t change the abilities. As a matter of fact, freezing them and not having all the air removed from your bag will actually make it worse. Water crystals form inside the bag, and then destroy the potency of the soda’s. If you’re cakes are falling after baking, there either not baked correctly, or your baking powder isn’t working properly. To check if you’re baking powder is active, put a teaspoon in half a cup of warm water. It should immediately fizz up. If not, then baking powder isn’t active, and won’t work.

martabell Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 18

Ok, thanks. I wondered if the baking powder/soda issue could potentially be the culprit. I don't use them fast enough before the expire date and I hate to chuck them. I guess that's what I get from using too many boxed cakes instead of always baking scratch! lol  I heard somewhere storing in freezer would extend shelf life. I do store them in the bags they came in, folded down with a rubber band around it to keep it sealed down. Then I put in a ziplock bag, but I don't necessarily always make sure the air is out of the ziplock bag. But sometimes the ziplocks swell anyway, sitting in the freezer. I guess I will have to check the activeness.

Well, that's a possibility explaining the mystery of my scratch cakes, but I don't know why my boxed would do that? I mean, they're not sunken in or anything, just not as high as they are when baking. Sometimes I put the cake on a rack near a cracked open window in cooler/cold weather if I want them to cool faster or put in freezer to cool faster. Do you think that would matter? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 18

yeah i'm with june -- i'd never put my leavening in the freezer -- and I buy the non-aluminum bp from the grocery store and I know that I will not use the whole can (i'm retired from cakes) so I just mark the date on top, toss it and buy new -- just part of baking good stuff kwim -- I just don't bake enough these days and when I do I want to use the best ingredients -- and I mean baking powder is essential -- it's also humid here so that's just how I do it --

if you stick your finger in the baking powder and it is not like powdered velvet -- super soft and no tidbits -- it's cool -- otherwise if it's over 6 months old and has the least amount of graininess to it -- it's not going to perform well and in that case you could add more I guess but I just plan on replacing -- 

i'm quite surprised bob's red mill advises that -- I love their products and use them -- I mean I had their organic gf thick cut oats for breakfast this morning -- I use tons of bob's red mill but I've never gotten their leavenings -- 

cake mixes are smaller than they used to be -- nothing wrong with amping up the batter -- going forward that is

best to you

jchuck Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 18

I stopped buying the containers of baking powder, as like you Kate, the container expired before I could use it all. And if you buy the ti y container, they charge you double!!! I have a Bulk store here that sells everything in large bins. The baking powder tho, is sold in small trough like tubes. Store only puts out a certain amount. When gone, replenishes. I buy about 1/2 a containers worth. So I know it’s fresh. Then buy more as needed. A good idea is to keep cream of tartar on hand. Baking powder is just a combo of baking soda and cream of tartar. So in a pinch, you cam make your own. 

As to why you’re boxed mixes aren’t rising as much. Could be the mix is old, therefore, active ingredients, like baking powder aren’t working. That, of course is easily remedied by adding a smidge more baking powder. But you have to be careful. The more flour, the less amount of baking powder required. That sounds topsides turvy, but true. Adding more baking powder actually defeats the purpose. Makes cakes fall after baking. I’d probably add between 1/2-1 cup extra flour to my boxed mix, increase the sugar slightly, and you will get a higher rise. Hope this helps.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 18

from bob's red mill:

"Bob's Red Mill Double Action Baking Powder releases carbon dioxide when exposed to moisture and heat, causing doughs and batters to rise. It contains no aluminum. Baking powder is perishable and should be kept cool and dry."

cool but not frozen blush

jchuck Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 18

Yuppers Kate you said it!!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 18

if I add flour to cake mix I use self rising flour blush and if I added a cup of flour i'd toss in an egg and some sugar too 

martabell Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 10:23pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you ladies. Great tips for me to keep on hand. :)

Someone had told me a while ago to store in the freezer because I was telling them I buy Bob's Red Mill powder and soda and since it costs more than the other brands, I wished there was a way to keep it fresh longer. I do love their products even though I have to dig a little deeper in my wallet. But yes, you do make a very good point. Although I do have to say, my powder is not clumpy at all. It's... well... powdery. lol  

No, I know my boxed mixes aren't old. I never keep them on hand that long. I wonder if it's my oven. I've had a couple of problems with it some time ago. I think I will have to hunt for my oven thermometer and check it. DH put it away a while ago so one never knows where it ended up. *sigh* Oh well, my cakes always taste great, if I do say so. No complaints yet. We had a St. Joseph's Day get together at my church last nite with tons of baked goods and my cake was the first thing to go. My son was a little disappointed he didn't get any, so I guess I'll be baking another one soon.

jchuck, you had said: "I’d probably add between 1/2-1 cup extra flour to my boxed mix, increase the sugar slightly, and you will get a higher rise." I usually sub. in/add in extras, but have never added in more flour or sugar. How much extra do you usually add in to get a nice rise?

jchuck Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 12:20am
post #16 of 18

martabell depending on how many cake pans I want.  Two get 8" x 3" cakes, I would add 1 cup flour, 1/2 sugar, an extra egg, and a little more liquid. Be it water or milk. For my 8" x 3" pans I use 3 1/2 cups of batter. Hope this helps.

martabell Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 4:42pm
post #17 of 18

Yes, thanks again. I will definitely keep that in mind for my next cake.

I have learned so much here. I absolutely love this site! :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 5:45pm
post #18 of 18

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%