Glucose Syrup Vs Corn Syrup For Attaching Fondant

Decorating By ash333 Updated 7 Mar 2019 , 9:23pm by ash333

ash333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ash333 Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 5:56am
post #1 of 13

I notice many of you here recommend corn syrup for attaching fondant to cookies. Corn syrup isn't readily available in Australia, so I was just wondering if anyone has used glucose syrup in the same way/as a glue to attach fondant to cookies (I know it's a little thicker than corn syrup)? 

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 6:40am
post #2 of 13

Sounds like it would be a good substitute although I have no experience with it   Good luck with that 

ash333 Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 7:01am
post #3 of 13

Thanks Kakeladi! How do you normally attach edible pearls? I have some sugar flower glue that I use to attach fondant to fondant, you think that'd work for the pearls too?

ash333 Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 7:04am
post #4 of 13

Sorry for all my questions! I'm fairly new at this, and since I have a big cookie order coming up I want to do everything "correctly" (if there's even such a thing). I appreciate all your (and everyone else's help) :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 13

No need to apologize at all   That’ what us “old-timers” are here for:)    Fondant  let down with water — aka gum glue — is mostly what I have used   I’ve done little more than top cookies w/fondant so I just put it on the hot cookies as soon as they come out of the oven   Do you have a picture of your finished cookies?  (What you are striving for)  Maybe if I saw one I could help you better   Don’t know if you have time issues — thought I’d let you know I won’t be online much today so if someone else can jump in with help great 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 13

Yes, you can certainly use glucose in place of corn syrup.  If it is a little too thick to handle easily (it is SO thick and sticky), thin it with a small amount of water.  You can also use piping gel, golden syrup (which they use in the UK), or a small amount of buttercream. Or, as kakeladi said, just add the fondant to the cookies while they are warm.

ash333 Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks guys! I went to two different baking supply stores yesterday and got told two different things, so I was kinda confused and thought I'd turn here. I'm going to make a test batch of cookies tomorrow (so I can play around with the designs I'm going to use) so I'll try out a few different things that you've both recommended. Thanks so much :)

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 13

I use both white corn syrup and glucose, and the only difference I can see is the thickness.  Glucose is much thicker than corn syrup.

ash333 Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 5:49am
post #9 of 13

Does the glucose change the taste at all SandraSmiley? Or make the cookie soggy? I was told yesterday to simply warm the glucose slightly (a few secs) to soften it up a little, and NOT to add water to it. I guess everyone has their own approach to things. I'll have to test both ways.

Yes, it is SO thick isn't it? I used it in something a few weeks ago (can't remember what) and had trouble even getting it off the spoon into whatever it was I was making. I wish corn syrup was more readily available here. I'll have to do some digging and track it down. It sounds a little easier to handle. 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 13

Glucose just tastes like sugar, so it should not be discernible on your cookie.  I hate using it because it is so thick and sticky.  Like you said, it is very difficult to measure.  I am sure it would work to warm it instead of adding a little water, if it makes it thinner and easier with which to work.  Corn syrup is a by product of the process of manufacturing corn starch and is composed primarily of glucose.  Both have a very mild flavor.

I know that corn syrup is not available in the UK.  They use golden syrup instead, which is made from cane sugar and has a slightly different flavor.  It is a nice golden color, compared to clear (white or light) or dark brown (dark) corn syrup.  You could even use honey, but it has a stronger flavor than glucose, golden syrup, or corn syrup.  Still, the flavor shouldn't interfer with your cookies.

ash333 Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks so much for that info SandraSmiley. I appreciate all your help :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 13

what about a dot of royal icing or chocolate -- i'm just tossing out random ideas -- but honestly i'd sooner pipe a pearl on something like that -- or i'd use piping gel -- don't know why that seems easier to me -- maybe a generational thing idk

but anyhow some potential alternatives blush

ash333 Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions K8memphis. I can't say I'm very good with RI, so having to make it (or even buy it) seems like an extra expense (and extra time) to me at the moment (though I'd like to "master" RI, because IMO it provides a better result than fondant). I just figured since I already had glucose syrup it'd be one less thing to make/buy. The chocolate would be nice as a "glue" to attach fondant to cookie, since it would add to the flavour. 

I'm making a test batch of cookies tomorrow so that I can play around with designs and a different cookie recipe, so I'll try a few different things that have been recommended. 

A big thank you to you all. No one in my family is much of a baker, so I'm just figuring things out as I go, and taking on all the advice I get here :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%