Chocolate Shard Question

Decorating By Danilou Updated 6 Mar 2019 , 4:07pm by SandraSmiley

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 5:57am
post #1 of 8

Chocolate Shard QuestionHi could someone please advise me how the pink swirls would have been done on these chocolate shards? My attempt at this looked nothing like this. Lol

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 6:09am
post #2 of 8

You just add a drop or 2to your melted chocolate & swirl lightly w/a toothpick or melt a tiny bit of pink chocolate &add the same way 

kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 6:13am
post #3 of 8

Pull through the added color with a toothpick but be careful not to over do it  use long strokes and circles 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 8

yes what lynnie said and then tap it on the counter so it smooths out -- toothpick, fork, spoon maybe some varying utensils

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone. Just so I get this right.   So you add the colour (in my case Americolor gel) straight to the spread out chocolate? You don't mix  the colour to a little white chocolate first? Because I did the latter and when I did I found it was so thick even after adding gel flo. 

kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 8

Any amount of moisture will cause chocolate to tighten   That’s Probably what happened Even though you used gel   There’s a bit of moisture in it   You will have to work quickly to spread the color 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 8

did it cool off too much? or did it seize? if it seized then that's why you don't use that kind of color

I mean you could do it either way -- but I would add it to choc first unless you have the exact color you want in the bottle -- I use powdered color in my choco because I could never remember which kind of color was ok and which wasn't -- they used to make a specific choco liquid/gel color -- so I always used the powder because it's some kind of awful to blow an entire load of choco --

sandra will tell you 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 8

Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence, Kate!

I would not use gel color in melted chocolate for fear of seizing (as -K8memphis said), but would use powdered colors in a small amount of chocolate, then mix it with the white.  I use gel colors for my modeling chocolate all the time, but it is cool and mixed with corn syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%