Broken Cake Layers!

Decorating By avidkeo Updated 28 Feb 2019 , 3:11pm by kakeladi

avidkeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avidkeo Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 7:23am
post #1 of 4

Hi there, I'm new here but have read a few forums. I've been a Baker for many years and have started getting into decorating, and have recently started selling cakes to local people - we live in a really remote rural area. Probably unrelated to my problem but a small introduction! 

I've got a commission that is due Tuesday morning (it's Thursday night here, I'm in NZ). Im doing a simple layered chocolate cake, with chocolate Swiss meringue butter cream and covered in chocolate ganache. 

I baked 2 of the 4 layers tonight, in 2 seperate 8" round pans. When I took them out of the pans, the bottoms stuck on both cakes. One isn't too bad but the other one has most of the bottom pulled off. 

Should I just start again? I have the time to be able to. Or can I trim and hide with buttercream?

Thanks! 

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 4

If you are able to get the part that is stuck to the pan up in one or two big pieces, you can stick it back together with a tiny bit of buttercream or even make like a cake pop mixture to fill in the hole in the layer.  If you have never made cake pops, just crumble the cake that stuck in the bottom of the pan and mix it with enough buttercream for it to stick together.  Then you can fill the hole in your layer with the mixture.  Since the repaired layer will probably be a little weaker than the other three, you might want to use it as the top layer.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 4

To insure that it doesn't happen again, cut a circle or parchment or wax paper the six of your pan and line the bottom.  It makes turning out cakes practically fool proof.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 4

Well it looks like Sandra $ I were typing at the same time but my post got lost!  Basically I said the same as Sandra did   I’ve done it many times w/o problems 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%