Filled Cupcake Questions ...which Is Better?

Baking By Jessica32 Updated 4 Apr 2019 , 3:12pm by weluvpiggies

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 12:35am
post #1 of 9

So today I filled my first cupcake. All I did was stick my tip into the cupcake and pipe until the top started to crack, which is what i read to do. So attached is two pictures, one with a buttload of filling and another with a little. If you make filled cupcakes how do make it, lots or little filling? What do customers seem to like? Also, how do you stay consistent without seeing what you're doing?

I think is what I'd like to offer these as St. Patrick's cupcakes: chocolate cupcake filled with a mint chocolate buttercream and top with a mint oreo buttercream. 

As I keep typing I keep thinking of questions... what would you charge per dozen for these? I have two frosting categories, classic and signature. Classic is basic vanilla, almond, and chocolate buttercream all for $15 per dozen. Signature is a tad fancier with flavors like strawberry, peanut butter, coconut, salted caramel and so on for $18 per dozen. One person remarked and said they'd pay $4 per filled cupcake! Gasp. That's $2.50 more than my most expensive cupcake and I could never charge that much more! Just curious what someone else might charge. Filled Cupcake Questions ...which Is Better?Filled Cupcake Questions ...which Is Better?

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 5:26am
post #2 of 9

I’m all for more filling:)   Pricing depends on location and much more   Why are you so afraid to charge more??   1cupcake is the same as a servings    How much do you charge per serving for your tiered cakes?  Your highest price   That’s what you can get for a cupcake 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 9

If you want consistency in the amount of filling you could always buy yourself a cupcake corer.

Jessica32 Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 9

kakeladi - thanks for the feedback. I'm just located in a smaller country-ish town. I don't get a large amount of orders, my bakery is more of a hobby. I guess I don't sell anything by the serving. I've made a two tiered cake for fun (for show at the county fair) but haven't had any requests to make one. Which I'm happy about because there seems to be so much to learn about tiered cakes. Honestly, I don't even know how to box a tiered cake. I make 9 inch 3 layer cakes for $28.

Freckles - I just feel like that's such a waste of cupcake but I guess if I want consistency that's what I'd need to do.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 9

Well depending on how many you make you can collect the scraps and make cake balls.  You could also take the top part of the removed piece of cupcake and place that on top of the filling to kind of enclose it so at least that way you could reuse some of the part you take out.  Or, since taste testing is essential, they could just be your treat for all your hard work LOL!

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 9

I've had the same questions!  I just tried filling cupcakes with ganache, but it was too stiff by the end and some had a lot of filling, others almost none.  So, in reading your responses I thought (for you and for myself), maybe we should fill our cupcakes on a food scale.  Decide that X grams of filling is good and fill on the scale until we've added that X amt. to the cupcake.  Just a thought! :)

Jessica32 Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 9

weluvpiggies, isn't that a good thought! I almost always have my food scale out when I'm in the kitchen so that would be super simple. It would give me the peace of mind I think I need! Thank you for the idea! So, as you filled cupcakes, did you prefer heavily filled or lightly filled cupcakes?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 9

$28 for a 9”??   Hon YOU are paying your customer to order from you!!   You need to charge at least $50 for that size   You have more than $28 invested!  

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 4 Apr 2019 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 9

I don't make cupcakes very often, so I don't fill many cupcakes, but I just fill until I see the top give way a bit, it's not heavily filled.  I think that may be too messy since most people are handling the cupcakes and not using a fork.  HTH! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%