How Early Can I?

Baking By missy1462 Updated 20 Feb 2019 , 6:14pm by kakeladi

missy1462 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy1462 Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 4

Y’all were so helpful yesterday, I wanted to ask a couple more questions.  I’m baking my granddaughters 13th (going on 25...) birthday cake for this coming Saturday.  She wants a cowgirl boot cake (gulp) so I decided to make a regular rectangular cake on the bottom and cut out a boot shape from another cake (smaller) and put that on top.   (1) Would it look too gaudy to do the bottom cakes in Just a white buttercream and then the boot part covered with MMF?   (2) Her birthday party is this Saturday, so when can I make the cakes and them still be ok (fresh tasting, not stale) and when would y’all decorate them?  Would it be too early to bake them Thursday, put in the fridge overnight and then decorate them Friday - and refrigerator until Saturday morning and then put the together?   If it matters, the cakes will be the sour cream wedding cake recipe from here.  She wants one cake in vanilla and one in chocolate. 

I know y’all probably get asked these same questions a million times over, but please know that I humbly appreciate any suggestions you throw my way. I’ve never understood why these grandkids of mine want me to make their cakes instead of letting someone who knows what they are doing, make and decorate them..... 

3 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 4

missy1462 I almost always bake and freeze my cakes ahead of time. Makes cakes lovely and moist after they thaw. Started this when I was working full time. Now retired, I still do it. Big time saver. I’ve back as a month ahead, to two days ahead. Ok, as far as your bottom tier, all white buttercream wove perfectly fine. A blank canvas to showcase the Boot. I’m actually doing a bday cake for this Saturday. I baked my cakes on the wknd and froze. I will crumb coat and ice cakes tomorrow, Thursday. I then put in my cake dowels or straws. Normally I would then chill my cake and also cover in fondant on Thursday, then let cake sit overnight to let fondant “set up” before smoothing Friday morning. But this is going to be a all buttercream cake. So Friday, regardless of cake being fondant or buttercream, I finish everything. Putting cake on the cake board, adding anything embellishments, like cake lace, flowers, ribbon, etc. Once on the board, I add any other tiers,  (in your case the boot), and add any embellishments.  I’ve always, with a few exceptions, finished my cakes the day before. This gives you breathing room if you run into any unforeseen circumstances. And I’ve had a few of those let me tell you!! Now some my say, you leave your cake out from Thursday, and cake doesn’t get eaten till Saturday, how is that “fresh”?? Well I’ve been doing it like this for years, and cakes are always fresh tasting and moist. The covering of the cake seals in the freshness.

I’m wondering why you don’t make the bottom cake a white and chocolate combo, and make the boot from rct’s?? So much easier than having to carve the cake into a shape. Make sure you put a centre dowel in the middle of your boot cake that will run through the bottom cake. You want that security that the boot won’t tip over. I did a Captain Underpants cake for my grandson, and I built him around a large wooden dowel that was attached to my cake board. Put the cake around my figure. I’ll post the link for you to see. I hope I have helped.

https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3403008/captain-underpants-cake

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 4

I don’t have time or way to explain everything now but I did one and it’s easy   I’ll try to get back to you tonight 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 4

There is a pic on page 6 of my photo gallery that is what you can use for inspiration  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%