Best Brand Of Fondant?

Decorating By L.ABakes Updated 23 Feb 2019 , 12:55pm by lark6209

L.ABakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L.ABakes Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 7:56am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I was just wondering what your favourite brand of fondant is. I usually use satin ice fondant but I'm wondering what everyone else go-to fondant brand is so I could try out some new brands. All suggestions highly appreciated. Thank you!

5 replies
Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 21 Feb 2019 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 6

I am UK based and use  Renshaw for coloured fondant or Dr Oetker from my supermarket for white fondant. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2019 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 6

I actually have used both Satin Ice and Wilton's.  I know, I know everyone turns their nose up at Wilton BUT......just add flavoring and it's not bad.  I don't measure - just add some, knead it in and repeat until I can smell it good. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:53am
post #4 of 6

I have used Satin Ice and Wilton.  Personally, I think all fondant is horrible, so to me Wilton is just as good as any.  I do love Satin Ice chocolate fondant, which tastes like Tootsie Rolls.  That being said, 99% of the time, I make my own using Liz Marek's LMF recipe.  It is easy to make, inexpensive, can be flavored and colored anyway you like, has a great working consistency and actually has the best taste.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/fondant-recipe/

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 23 Feb 2019 , 4:50am
post #5 of 6

I'm not really sure there is an answer as to what is the 'best' fondant. For 80% of my cakes, I use Wilton fondant. It has good elasticity, a decent amount of work time and it doesn't taste horrible. Plus, as Kakeladi previously noted, there is this amazing thing called extract to make it taste fantastic ;-) I also use a fair amount of fondarific, especially for lettering or when I have to blend seams together. Fondarific is kind of expensive, otherwise I would probably use it more to cover cakes. 

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 23 Feb 2019 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 6

I used to make my own but that got to be too much trouble and my results were inconsistent.  Now I use mostly Renshaw, Fondarific or Carma Massa Ticino Tropic, depending on need.  I do buy a bit of Wilton and Satin Ice from time to time, but mostly for modeling.  Fondarific and Renshaw don't really "dry" (which is lovely for covering a cake), and Carma doesn't take color well, but is wonderful in the heat of summer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%