Icing With Buttercream Help Please

Baking By Bowladye Updated 23 Feb 2019 , 3:24pm by kakeladi

Bowladye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bowladye Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 9

Hello Everyone,

Its me again LOL. I used all of the tips from my last question and DID NOT put the cake in the freezer this time. My question now is, after my crumb coat, when I am icing with American buttercream, and smoothing with a cake scraper, it seems as if I am dragging off all of the icing.  You can see the cake underneath and its as if I'm making a naked cake. I pile on more icing, but when I run the scraper through it, all of it comes off. What am I doing wrong? I am using a buttercream frosting that I make with butter and Crisco.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks,

Erica

8 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe you are pressing your scraper into your buttercream way too much.  You only need to lightly place the scraper against your cake and then spin the entire cake with the help of your lazy susan.

What I do is slather on the icing, smooth it with my bench scraper, then go back with more icing to fill in any divots (just where the divots are), then smooth gently again until I get a clean finish.  This really just takes some practice in regards to the pressure you use and how much frosting is needed.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 9

Exactly what she ^^^ said............Maybe you are pressing your scraper into your buttercream way too much.  You only need to lightly place the scraper against your cake and then spin the entire cake with the help of your lazy susan.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 4:39am
post #4 of 9

You need to make sure you are using a cake board that is approximately 1/2 inch larger than your cake, which would make it stick out on all sides 1/4 inch, what I consider a nice amount of frosting.  Press your bench scraper against the cake board, not the cake.  You could even use a second cake board of the eact same size on top of the tier and make sure your scraper is touching both of them.  When you are through smooth the frosting, you should have a nice, even 1/4 inch layer all over the cake.

kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 9

Sandra ‘s suggestion is a good one   I just didn’t think of it

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 9

and if you're still having a problem with the cake showing through -- after you stack up the layers and have it filled -- shave off the edges of the cake all the way around so the sides are quite smooth -- you will rock this -- 

blush

anonymous1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anonymous1 Posted 23 Feb 2019 , 5:12am
post #7 of 9

Instead of slathering on the frosting with a spatula, you can try to pipe it all around and then use a spatula to spread it. Then use a bench scraper to smooth it all around, And running the spatula under hot water every time really makes it smooth. 

kakeladi Posted 23 Feb 2019 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 9

Oh yes!  Totally forgot to say to use a “quick-icee” tip.   That’s a big tip Wilton makes.   It’ s 2” wide w/sarated edge on one side -plain on the other   Hold the sarated edge against the cake.  It puts the right amount of icing on.  Then you just smooth it.  Don’t take off - just smooth it.  

kakeladi Posted 23 Feb 2019 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 9

Stupid typos. That’s  supposed to be “icer”  not icee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%