Grease Traps And Health Inspectors

Business By mummified su Updated 8 Feb 2019 , 6:25pm by kakeladi

mummified su Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mummified su Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 3

I was hoping to start a really small home baking business and prepared that I might have to have a grease trap.  But the health inspector is saying it has to be an in- ground 1000 gallon one!   

I’m in Massachusetts and the inspector for my area is known to be really strict.  I’m trying to argue that that is commercial business size but she won’t budge.  She dislikes home bakers and I think she is saying this to put people off. 

Does anyone know if you can appeal her decision?  Also where or what the law would be called that she works from so I can read for myself that the law asks for this size.   

Thanks for any help as I’m from the uk and struggling to navigate all the different departments and what they do. 


2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 3

I see what you mean and I don't know about the ability to appeal -- however, you want to be a business right? a commercial trap is the right one for a business -- even if you are at home -- that's the cost of doing business

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 3

OH MY!!!   I went through the exact same thing - well not for home baking but a small commercial shop) some 25-30 yrs ago in CA!!   I ended up calling my county supervisors and got their help.   The grease trap I wanted to use was in service just a week before in a hamburger stand shop that closed down and now they were saying it wasn't good enough.  If I remember right they called in the newly retired inspector who reconized the trap (yes he actually know exactly where I got it from) and o.k. it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%