Getting Toys To Stand On Fondant?

Decorating By CassiaM Updated 5 Feb 2019 , 12:51am by CassiaM

CassiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassiaM Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone! 

I have 3 Disney princess toys to put on top of my daughters birthday  cake. What’s the best way to get them to stay upright? They have small feet, and aren’t very tall. They would probably stand fine on buttercream but the cake is covered in fondant. I was wondering if I should make a fondant base for them, press their feet in it and let it dry, then just attach the fondant base to the top of the cake. Any ideas if that would work? Has anyone had this problem and figured out what works? 

Worst case scenario I could sit them down but I’d prefer to have them stand.

Thanks!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 6

I like your idea of making the fondant base.   Melted choco is probably going to be your next best bet.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 6

Can you somehow tie a bamboo skewer to the leg or the back of the doll? ( using masking tape or tie wrap maybe?) This would not ruin the dolls and would be easy to hide with the dresses of the princess. You can then stick the skewer in the cake.

CassiaM Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 6

Great idea! I will have a look at the dolls and see if a skewer would work! If it doesn’t work out then I’ll go ahead and try the fondant base.

You our ladies are so helpful! Thank you! 

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 5:59am
post #5 of 6

I always drill a small hole in one or both of the feet and stick a small wooden dowel in there to attach it to the cake. 

CassiaM Posted 5 Feb 2019 , 12:51am
post #6 of 6

That is brilliant! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%