Leanne29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leanne29 Posted 1 Feb 2019 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 19

How Can I Make This To Feed 25 People?

18 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2019 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 19

do a 7x5 -- it serves 29 -- and scoot the top tier back (not centered) there to create the deeper ledge in front for the waterfall -- cute cute cake

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 19

Ha! Somebody asked me for the exact same cake for next weekend! I’m doing an 8” round with a 6” round on top...they need it to serve 30 with a smidge left over :). Thankfully they only want 2D animals, though....

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 19

leanne29 -- do you have a minimum price? for example you and mermadebakedgoods are each doing this cake and your's is 5 servings less but it's the same amount of work -- so for that reason you'll want to incorporate a minimum price of at least $100 so no one can beat you down on your price -- see what I mean? as you go along you will raise that minimum price higher and higher for cakes like this and for sculptures etc. each of those little creatures should be $10 - $15 anyway -- although that décor apart from the animals would be covered in your regular price per serving because it's not extravagant time-wise if you pipe it

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 19

Agreed. I’m having a very difficult time with some people understanding the pricing ...this jungle cake lady ALSO think she shouldn’t have to pay for delivery. Mine is free within 10 miles But she lives 25 miles away!! And charging extra for fondant animals..one would think common sense would tell a person that takes a lot of time, extra supplies and concentration...but people still seem suprised and put off. But I still always feel uncomfortable when people question my pricing :(.

leanne29 - PLEASE tell me you’re not in Virginia because I wouldn’t put it past this lady to order from someone else and not tell me!! :)

K8- I don’t have a minimum either :(. Somebody could just order an 8” round from me if they want for around $70.  Should I consider changing that?

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 19

well if it's a regular 8" no worries -- if it's got a additional décor -- use your minimum -- the best way to sell a cake is to just give the price on it -- don't break it down -- so for this cake I would charge $5 for each serving then $10 for the elephant and  the lion and $15 each for the others because of all the stripes and dots -- but  I would give that as one price -- off top of my head I think that's $215 for me -- so they have no room to finagle the servings down -- then if that's too high they can eliminate an animal or two -- but eliminating servings does not reduce any labor -- see what I mean

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 19

Oh Lordy - I totally see what you mean. I only charge $4/serving. I totally need to increase my prices :(.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 19

yeah -- cool -- so you could have a minimum price for tier cakes -- a 30 serving one tier is much less labor than a 30 serving tier cake or however you wanna set it up -- but what you wanna remember that for an 8" standard birthday cake or a quarter sheet or whatever -- you want to decide if you want to attract people who want normal cakes -- because those are so easy to -- so easy to pop out and collect the money -- easy to make extra batter and icing and pop out when you are doing big tier cake/s --

I was always gonna set up with so many servings of each per week -- however many servings of tier cakes/sculptures and so many of normal cake with a bit of wiggle room -- also the smaller standard cakes are a good mental diversion from the stress of the other advanced ones too -- but I mean those little figurines could be done weeks in advance and just popped onto the nice fresh cake -- you could make additional ones at the same time too and have it ready to pop on a 'standard' cake when someone calls in last minute -- this would be an easy upsell for you -- all kinds of stuff --

as a caker you need to decide if you are in it for the money or the glory of creating 

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 19

K8 - any chance you’ve thought about charging for “cake counseling”?!?! :)

I’d be the first in line! Thanks for all your help :).

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 19

awww you're so sweet -- it has crossed my mind hahahaha

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 3:29am
post #11 of 19

Geez! You were right. I just finished....and I should have charged way more :(.How Can I Make This To Feed 25 People?How Can I Make This To Feed 25 People?How Can I Make This To Feed 25 People?

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 3:31am
post #12 of 19

Lovely cake

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 4:00am
post #13 of 19

Thanks!!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 19

it's adorable! why did you put your cute elephant so far away from the front??

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 19

Ack! I don’t know! I always feel weird if there’s too much open space :(.

why did I put my monkey in the BACK?!?!How Can I Make This To Feed 25 People?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 19

we gotta talk -- hahahahaha --

they're so cu-ute! blank space is ok in the back!!! and the two little birdies too-- 

hope you re-think that for next time blush

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 6:38pm
post #17 of 19

Amen to that, sister. 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 19

Your monkey is the cutest thing ever! I agree with K8, do not hide those cuties in the back of a cake. They deserve better! 

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 7:40pm
post #19 of 19

Seriously, I need cake therapy from you guys on a daily basis :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%