Sequence Of Steps - Decorating

Decorating By owais99 Updated 29 Jan 2019 , 8:35pm by kakeladi

owais99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owais99 Posted 29 Jan 2019 , 10:12am
post #1 of 5

Dear Experts, 

I will be doing it for the first time but i am confused as to which step comes first after baking? slicing the cake and crum coating it before freezing or after freezing? 

i am not sure which should be done first? 

4 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 29 Jan 2019 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

I do either depending on how much time I have. 

If I have a lot of time in advance then I will bake, cool, torte, level, fill and crumbcoat then freeze. Otherwise I freeze soon after baking and leave the other steps till nearer the due date. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2019 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 5

I set up my tiers with fillings but I don't crumb coat in advance -- then I wrap 'em like mummies and freeze -- so I can eliminate all the sticky messy torting and trimming stuff and move on -- I've always just iced once and done -- you can do it any way you want -- no hard and fast rules -- 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jan 2019 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 5

Unless you are baking several days prior to the event, there is no need to freeze the cake.  I usually do because it adds moisture and a nice texture, but it is not necessary.  Just be sure your layers are nicely chilled before you torte, fill and crumb coat.  A chilled cake is much easier to handle.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jan 2019 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 5

louglou said:   ......lbake, cool, torte, level, fill and crumbcoat then freeze. ....

This is how I would do it.  But as others have said, there is no hard and fast rule.  whatever works for you is usually fine :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%