Making A Model

Baking By Anneliese671 Updated 23 Jan 2019 , 3:03am by -K8memphis

Anneliese671 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anneliese671 Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 6:13am
post #1 of 13

I would like to make a model of a pirate ship (the bottom/wood bit of the ship) so that when I create pieces to attach (like the ship's wheel, cannons, balustrade etc) they will be in proportion to the cake and each other. I am starting this cake early so it's less stressful! I thought about doing the model out of home made play doh, but it requires refrigeration and I don't have the space. It also might go moldy as I live on a tropical island. I guess I could cover it with baking paper or glad wrap. The other option is a rice krispie ship. But...it would attract ants and geckos. Or there's cardboard...not quite as easy. What do you use?

12 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 13

I would use Rice Krispy Treats covered in modeling chocolate, but I don't have to worry about ants and geckos.  I don't know of any food based products which could be used, under your circumstances.  Maybe make the ship from paper mâché and cover it with fondant later?

Anneliese671 Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for your reply! This is just a model...I'm planning to make the ship out of cake covered in buttercream/modeling chocolate. Using chocolate for my model isn't possible....it melts at room temperature here. Not like in a puddle but it's not the best medium unless it's refrigerated.

Anneliese671 Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for your reply! This is just a model...I'm planning to make the ship out of cake covered in buttercream/modeling chocolate. Using chocolate for my model isn't possible....it melts at room temperature here. Not like in a puddle but it's not the best medium unless it's refrigerated.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 13

what about foam

Anneliese671 Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 13

Yes! Foam. Great idea! Thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 13

for the longest time I would just out back and cut the foam with a steak knife and it made a big mess but it worked fine -- then I got foam cutting tools and that was even better 

https://hotwirefoamfactory.com/

but I know you are not in the states so this may or may not work for you specifically but at least you know these things exist blush

Anneliese671 Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 13

Have you ever tried foam in a can? The one that you spray and it sets? I have done some research and apparently it is easier to carve. I think I'm going to try it! On a side note....being on a tropical island in the middle of nowhere can be frustrating when it comes to getting stuff..but without being here I may never have tried to make my own fondant (at the time, you couldn't buy it here). Now I make Michele Foster's fondant and it works great. I can order most things...even Amazon Subscribe and Save ships free to here...but then I get hit ordering something small and the shipping is often 30% of the price.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 13

I've never tried it for decorating but we use it in our walls-- around the electric outlets and things like that -- ha! never tired to cut it thought -- sounds like a great idea -- I usually use foam insulation sheets from the big box hardware stores

Anneliese671 Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 1:11am
post #10 of 13

Yes we do too...around pipes and such to keep out ants from entering the house. I'll let you know how it turns out!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 1:21am
post #11 of 13

I used that foam in a can once....can't remember now why or how it worked out :(

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 1:22am
post #12 of 13

I use florist oasis a lot because it is so easy to carve.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 3:03am
post #13 of 13

it would be easier, sandra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%