Cake Lace Mold Not Flat.

Decorating By CHoxie Updated 8 Jan 2019 , 9:45pm by jchuck

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 14

I ordered a cake lace mold from Anyana, and it arrived folded.  I tried to flatten it by heavy books and heat, but to no avail.  I sent them an email explaining the problem, they sent another, again folded.  Any suggestions on how to flatten it so I can use it?

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 14

did they advise anything at all about it?

CHoxie Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 1:21am
post #3 of 14

No.  I asked how to fix, they said heavy books.  They did refund my money tho, so not a total loss.  But still want to salvage the molds, they are Christmas stockings.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 2:42am
post #4 of 14

disappointing for sure

sorry!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 14

Try putting silicone mold in a pot of boiling water for about a minute or two. Remove with tongs and place on a clean towel. Fold towel over the mold, then stack a heavy objects on top, like books. This should help. You may need to do this twice. You could also put in the microwave for about a minute, and continue with the towel and books. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:44am
post #6 of 14

Even if you are unable to completely flatten the mold, you should be able to make lace successfully.  I have a couple that are stretched from being folded and they do not look pretty, but it doesn't affect the lace at all.

CHoxie Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 14

I have tried heat, and the books.  didn't work.  going to try direct heat with a heat gun to see if this works.

I tried using the first one, but when I got to the fold line, it took the material off the mold.  I haven't tried to secure it first, that might be another thing to try.

CHoxie Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 14

I have tried heat, and the books.  didn't work.  going to try direct heat with a heat gun to see if this works.

I tried using the first one, but when I got to the fold line, it took the material off the mold.  I haven't tried to secure it first, that might be another thing to try.

jchuck Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 14

Wow CHoxie very surprised the boiling water/ heat didn’t work!! I’d be careful with the heat gun, that can totally melt your mold. I can honestly say, I have never had a mold delivered folded in half. Saying that tho, if the mold is made of good material, it shouldn’t have smoothed out after applying heat. Good luck.

CHoxie Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 14

Cake Lace Mold Not Flat.this is what the molds look like upon arrival.  The one not in the package is the one I tried to flatten.

jchuck Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 14

Ahhh...the problem lies in that the mold is very thin. I have a large mold that is thin, but very sturdy material. But it does caution to store lying flat. What about trying rolling up your mold, like a cake roll. Very tight, and wrap with a rubber band for several hours. Or maybe even putting in boiling water rolled up tightly?? Then remove from the water, and just leave rolled up several hours. Can’t hurt to try. Barring all that, I’d send a picture of the bumpy mold and see if you can get money back.

CHoxie Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 14

I'll try that.   BTW, I did send pics, and got refunded.  So I have 2 molds to try to fix.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 14

all they had to do was roll it slightly and put in a little box not in an envelope

jchuck Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 14

Your absolutely right K8Memphis!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%