Adding Pudding

Baking By Mish_lynn Updated 9 Jan 2019 , 9:05pm by kakeladi

Mish_lynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mish_lynn Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 4

So I recently tried a new recipe that included adding pudding mix. I baked off two 10 inch rounds and a small 6inch so could try it. I thought the cake tasted great. I had some else sample a piece and they liked it too. The person who ordered it was not thrilled. Said it tasted great but was heavy and dense. I felt terrible cause it was for a party, but I personally thought it was good. What are your experiences with adding pudding? Should I have just left it out? Should my personal opinion not be included when choosing which recipe I want to use? Sorry for the long post but the fact that my cake was disliked is kinda weighing on me a bit

3 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 12:44am
post #2 of 4

Everyone's taste is different.  I like Mexican food, my hubby won't touch it.  I personally don't like adding pudding to my cakes, but I sometimes use mixes that already have it and they're fine.

Do you always bake from scratch? Scratch cakes are usually heavier and denser anyway and customers don't always expect this. However, unless someone specifically orders a certain recipe with certain ingredients, why would they care whether you do or do not add pudding? Most of your customers aren't going to know enough about baking and honestly won't care what you put into it, as long as it tastes good.

I would just chalk it up to personal preferences and not worry about it. Get your recipes set and go from there.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:51am
post #3 of 4

I totally agree with cakefan92.  A lot of people have spent their life eating cake mixes, which are light and fluffy, so they are not accustomed to the texture of a scratch or WASC cake.  I may be wrong, but I doubt the addition of pudding would have made the cake heavy and dense.  Actually, I doubt that your cake was either (heavy or dense), just the perception of someone who is was raised on cake mixes.  Don't worry about it, but if the customer orders another cake, use a cake mix.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 4

Agree with what both of the other posters said :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%