Customer Didn’T Eat The Cake!

Lounge By louglou Updated 3 Jan 2019 , 9:14pm by SandraSmiley

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone had this happen? I made a realistic fish shaped cake for the fishing enthusiast husband of a colleague. It was a lemon cake with lemon curd and a tart lemon buttercream. I ate lots of the offcuts so I know it tasted great.

5 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 6

Has anyone had this happen? I made a realistic fish shaped cake for the fishing enthusiast husband of a colleague. It was a lemon cake with lemon curd and a tart lemon buttercream. I ate lots of the offcuts so I know it tasted great. 

I know the client loved how it looked but I’ve now found out that they refused to cut into it and are planning to get it varnished and framed! 

I find this so weird. Has this happened to anyone else? I’m a bit worried it will go mouldy and mushy. And if I’m honestl I’m a bit disappointed at the waste of good cake. 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 6

I made a cute little cake for our next door neighbor as a gift for her baby shower.  She refused to let anyone else touch it and wouldn't even cut it.  I specifically didn't attach the baby so she could take it off and keep it, but she kept the whole cake!

I was glad she was so thrilled and liked it so much, but as you said, it was a waste of a good cake.  However, it was a gift and what she chose to do with it was entirely up to her.  Just kinda makes you squint sometimes.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 6

People are odd.

As hard as it is to cut into amazing works of art, cakes are made to be eaten and a good baker will make a cake that tastes just as good, if not better than what it looks like.  So I guess it is their loss that they didn't get to experience your yummy cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 6

You have to let it go....they "own" it now :)  I bet they will find it won't last alll that long even w/a coat of varnish!     For contest entries I have dried out cake in the oven when I couldnot find any shape I wanted.  That might be a better option for your customer - less chance of it going moldy/mushy.  But then this now has icing on it - don't know how it would dry out completely w/o the icing melting away:(

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 6

Don't be disappointed, louglou! They have paid you the highest compliment by wanting to keep it.  I don't know how long cake will keep sealed with frosting and shellac, but I had a piece made of rice cereal treats covered in modeling chocolate that lasted years and years.  I know this because I recently refurbished it and when I cut into the rice cereal treats, they looked as fresh as when new.  Maybe it they order another cake, you should make a topper from modeling chocolate, so they can keep it and make a separate, plain cake for eating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%