Trying To Figure Out The Finish On This Octopus Cake Pop!

Decorating By emarcomd Updated 3 Jan 2019 , 9:08pm by SandraSmiley

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 2 Jan 2019 , 1:03am
post #1 of 9

I'd like to make some cake pops for the volunteer dive team at the NY Aquarium (we clean the glass and pick up uneaten fish heads, etc.)

I'm not big on the cartoony kind, but I found this, which I rather like:

Trying To Figure Out The Finish On This Octopus Cake Pop!

Guessing that's either fondant or gum paste or modeling chocolate with liquid colors painted on (or markers) and then a glaze over it?

But how do you paint on modeling chocolate?  And you coudn't glaze that could you?   Sorry for the newbie-ness!

Here's the page I got it from (don't worry about the URL... it's not a sex page, it's some blogger) and the baker is Sarah Downham from "Kiss and Bake Up"

http://celebritytapessex.blogspot.com/2012/08/cake-pops-like-you-never-seen-before.html

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jan 2019 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 9

My guess is that they are made from fondant, hand painted with liquid/gel food colors then after the colors are completely dry lightly coated with oil which would give it the shiny finish.

emarcomd Posted 2 Jan 2019 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 9

Do you think the same thing could be done with modeling chocolate?

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 9

You can!  And since water based coloring doesn’t really soak into modeling chocolate, it’ll stay shiny.  I did some planet cake pops in the same fashion, and then sprayed them with shell and shine.

emarcomd Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 9

Quote by @KitchenSix on 52 minutes ago

and then sprayed them with shell and shine.

Is "shell and shine" a brand of spray?

KitchenSix Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 9

Looks like the product has new packaging, but this is what I used!  It was under Dinky Doodle, but it’s the same stuff.

http://evilcakegenius.com/wicked-shiny-edible-glaze.html

KitchenSix Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 9

This is the effect I got using food color diluted in vodka.  I think I mostly used powdered coloring in these, but my kids have used diluted food coloring on modeling chocolate, and then the spray.Trying To Figure Out The Finish On This Octopus Cake Pop!

emarcomd Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 9

Oh wow!  That's great!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 9

I paint on modeling chocolate all the time with powdered colors and gel colors, mixed with alcohol.  It works better if you let it dry for a day or so.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%