Does Anyone Else Hate This As Much As I Do?

Baking By Dar917 Updated 27 Dec 2018 , 9:43pm by mahtc2016

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 1:03am
post #1 of 13

Hi all, I currently work in a bakery where I get to do a lot with cookies and cakes and stuff, which is fine and all but I have so many recipes I want to try out at home, but I don't have a lot of time to do baking at home. I usually can make something about once a week. But this year I haven't been able to make any Christmas cookies for my family at all. We live with my mom, and some of her friends/clients like to give her big cookie trays around the holidays, and I really wish they wouldn't. We just got another big box of cookies from someone yesterday. And like, everybody I know knows I'm a baker and my mom tells anyone who will listen about my cakes. (And yet nobody ever orders anything from me, which is another rant for another time.) I know they mean well, and some of them have nothing better to do. Or when people buy things from the store that I could make myself (and do better). I'm also diabetic though, so I don't want to have too much sweets sitting around all the time. I just feel like I have this itch that I can't scratch and it drives me crazy.

Anybody else get this?

12 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 1:14am
post #2 of 13

I am retired and there is no reason that I cannot bake all day long every day EXCEPT that Mike and I would weigh 1,000 pounds each!  I find so, so many things I want to bake, but we just cannot eat it all.  I do carry treats to the neighbors all the time (banana bread and gingersnap cookies just a couple of hours ago), but that can't afford all the extra calories either.  I have carried cakes to my dentist office, veternarian, police dept., etc.

Dar917 Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 3:03am
post #3 of 13

Yeah, if I had nothing else to do....but I'm a  millennial so I'll have to work until I'm dead lol.

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 3:49am
post #4 of 13

I either went to school and/or worked from the time I was 6 years old until 65.  Being a millennial does not mean that you have fewer hours in the day or that you will have to work any longer or harder than any other generation.  It means that you need to start planning for your retirement right this minute and depend upon your own resources.  Always live below your means and save as much as you can every step of the way.  Then you can retire comfortably and bake any time you feel like it.

Dar917 Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 4:32am
post #5 of 13

lol....well I see you missed the point of my post entirely, but thanks anyway.

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 13

No, I didn't miss the point.  I addressed the things you can control, how to scratch the itch you mentioned.  No it doesn't bother me when friends or family buy their cookies, cakes, pies, etc. from Walmart instead of asking me to provide them.  Or, maybe I did miss the point entirely.  

Dar917 Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 13

I didn't come here for a lecture on time and money management. You have no idea what I have going on in my life. (Who needs sleep right? Lol) 

I asked if other people here hate being given baked goods around the holidays. I guess it's just me.

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 13

No lecture intended,  just an attempt at helpful experience.  Sorry I was offensive.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 13

dar917 -- sandra was kindly responding to your post -- 

no I love to be given baked goods even though I can't even eat them -- the first thing you said was that you were too busy to bake as much as you wanted at home -- you said you have an itch you can't scratch -- that you wanted to bake more -- I honestly don't see anything wrong or annoying about people being sweet to your mom with edible gifts --

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 13

Well I missed out on the title of millennial by about a year but just because you have been given that absurd title (I hate it so much because of the negative connotation connected to it) doesn't mean you will have to work until you die.  I certainly don't plan to.  I plan on creating a path forward where I can retire and still enjoy my older years comfortably.  Every generation has had their problems they had to overcome, you just need to plan and live wisely.

As for being given sweets during the holidays even though you are more than capable of making them yourself, well maybe since they know your profession is a baker that you are just too busy at the bakery to make anything for yourself.  Or maybe they think that the last thing you want to do after baking all day for others is come home, pre-heat the oven and whip up another batch of cookies.  People are just trying to be nice and generous.  You can simply put what they have provided in the freezer and make your own stuff if you wish.

And if baking is important to you then with all other things in life that are of importance you just make the time.  If that means baking only once a week where you can try out a new recipe than that is what it means.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Dec 2018 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 13

I'd love to take some of your famiy's sweet gifts off your hands.   I don't hate what y ou ask about as I don't get any.  I suppose if I did get lots, and lots of store bought sweets I might become as jaded as you seem to be.   I come from a very, Very small family - in fact there are only about 15-20 of us (total extended family!)  & in contact with only 5 of them.    Either freeze them &/or give to others.  Around where I live there are LOTS of so-called homeless who sit on street corners asking for handouts.....give them some of your not wanted items.  Find an orphanage; senior living facility; or battered women's shelter to give some of them away.     

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 27 Dec 2018 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 13

For a lot of people, baking and sharing Christmas cookies is a tradition. It's a nice way to acknowledge people and give holiday gifts without spending a ton of money. They're probably giving your mother cookies because they give ALL their friends cookies, and not even considering the fact that you're a baker. It's not about whether or not you can bake for yourself; it's about doing something nice for their friends. It's a gesture. 

Also, I'm not sure why you'd be upset about receiving cookies when you said yourself that you haven't had time to bake Christmas cookies for your family.

Personally, if someone offers me store-bought sweets and I can politely decline, I will. But if they baked something themselves, I always accept because I know how nice it feels to share my home-baked goodies with others. 

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 27 Dec 2018 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 13

I don't mind when someone gives me cookie and candy trays as I consider it a lovely gift and the warn thoughts that come with it. They can always be shared with others if you get to many. Could be that they know you are so busy and thought to make it a little easier for you. They could possibly not order from you  as they think it would be a conflict with your bakery job. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%