Buttercream Tree Stump With Initials

Decorating By SandraDee73 Updated 17 Dec 2018 , 11:42pm by SandraDee73

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 17 Dec 2018 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 7

I am working on a tree stump cake where the outside is chocolate buttercream. For the life of me, I can't wrap my head around how I'm going to do the little heart shaped cut out with the initials. Chill it and then try to scoop out the area where the heart would be, followed by filling it back in with a lighter color? Does anyone have any other ideas or does this sound about right?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2018 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 7

that's about right -- or you could scoop a bit and stick in a fondant heart -- 

or you could put down some lighter icing -- ice it in chocolate -- maybe fridge it in between then when you scoop you're already there

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2018 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 7

and the cool thing is you don't have to bother about smoothing it out because it is supposed to look carved so a few wrinkles will add to the effect bravo!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Dec 2018 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 7

If I'm understanding your ? right I suggest using a very thin frozen b'cream transfer.  Spread b'cream on plastic wrap, fz then 'paste' over the chocolate and as it thaws, carve in the letters. 

SandraDee73 Posted 17 Dec 2018 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 7

Yes!! Both of these ideas are fantastic!! Thank you so much!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Dec 2018 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 7

I would crumb coat (rather heavily at least in the heart area) with a pale white-tan color, take a heart shaped cookie cuter and stick it into the side of the cake where the initials will be and frost with the chocolate frosting around the cookie cutter.  As -K8memphis said, the icing is not supposed to be smooth, so it doesn't have to be applied all the way around with a bench scraper.  Hope that makes sense????

SandraDee73 Posted 17 Dec 2018 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 7

It does! Thank you SandraSmiley :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%