Spreadable American Buttercream

Baking By Tina84 Updated 4 Dec 2018 , 9:47pm by kakeladi

Tina84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina84 Posted 4 Dec 2018 , 3:37am
post #1 of 3

Hi all, 

I am new to baking and right now trying to find the perfect american buttercream.

1. I have tried to make a variety of buttercreams that I find online, with the typical butter, shortning, just butter, etc.  however I just don't find it to be smooth enough for decorating a cake unless I add a lot more heavy cream than written in the recipe. have to use much more few more tbs of heavy cream to make it smooth enough for frosting a cake easier, and that much extra heavycream just alters the taste too much. I always bring the butter to room temp and beat both butter and then the sugar for a few minutes   What is it that I am doing wrong?

2.  I use a buttercream recipe for frosting cookies as well, but after it crusts, the frosting looks very dry as opposed to the pictures of it online where it's shiny and smooth.  What can I do to improve how the frosting will look after it crusts? I would like it to have a bit of sheen. 

3.  I recently discovered a non crusting buttercream, and I love the taste and texture so much more.  It's very similar to a local bakery's frosting.    Are drip cakes possible to make on non crusting buttercreams? Will the weight of the chocolate drip be too much for the cake to handle?

I want to make a buttercream that crusts but tastes as good and smooth as a non crusting buttercreams.  If anyone has a recipe and method, I would really appreciate it.  I'm not a professional Baker, it's just a hobby and right now I'm obsessed with finding THE perfect buttercream so I can make cakes cupcakes for birthday parties :)

I cannot work with buttercreams that involve eggs... Not that experienced!

Thanks a lot! 

2 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 4 Dec 2018 , 10:33am
post #2 of 3

This is the one I use:   1 cup butter at room temp, 1 cup crisco, 1 bag of confectioners sugar (2 lb. size), 1/2 cup liquid, and 1 teaspoon of popcorn salt.  If you want a good crust use water, use whipping cream if you want a very smooth icing.  I use 1 teaspoon of clear vanilla, 1 tsp almond flavoring, and 1 of butter flavoring.  You can play with the flavorings until you get it to your liking.  I also add 1/3 tsp of lemon flavoring at times to cut down on the sweetness.  The key to this icing is to mix butter, crisco, and salt together for at least 2 minutes before adding other ingredients.  Mix on low to medium for 10 minutes once all ingredients are added.  You can adjust the amount of liquid depending on the stiffness you need.  There are some very good recipes on this site so you really can't go wrong...good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2018 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 3

Have you tried this recipe?  I cannot imagine anyone saying it is not smooth enough to cover a cake! :) : https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%