Coloring On This Deer Cake

Decorating By Jet0524 Updated 3 days ago by Pucci Cakes

Jet0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jet0524 Posted 4 Dec 2018 , 3:20am
post #1 of 5

Hello, 

I am going to be doing a cake like this very soon. I wasn’t sure how they did the coloring of this cake, and was wondering if someone could give me some advice? I’m not sure if they airbrushed it, used luster dust, food coloring, or something else? If anyone has any ideas on how to do it please let me know. I have worked with fondant, but feel just using brown and white would not give this affect. Thank you for your advice Coloring On This Deer Cake

Coloring On This Deer Cake

4 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 4 Dec 2018 , 10:36am
post #2 of 5

Looks like they started with a brown fondant or gumpaste and added the white on the chest and ears.  Then used petal dust and steamed it.  Doesn't look airbrushed to me.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2018 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 5

I agree it doesn't look airbrushed to me.  I think the fondant was textured, then brushed w/petal dust.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 week ago
post #4 of 5

I agree with cutiger and kakeladi, definitely not airbrushed.  It does appear that the white has been added on top of the brown.  You could make your fondant this color brown by mixing brown and a bit of yellow gel color to your fondant.  If you prefer to make the whole thing from white fondant, you can mix brown and a little yellow or orange petal dusts with alcohol or lemon extract to make a paint which you would apply with a brush.  You can use gel color mixed with alcohol, but do not try to use it straight from the container because it will not dry.  Once this has thoroughly dried, you can highlight by dry dusting with a slightly darker brown petal dust.  

Don't get all hung up on the exact color because a deers coat changes colors at different times of the year.  Right now and all through winter, their coat is more of a soft taupe/gray, but in the spring and summer, it is more orangey brown like the picture.  So, you only need to have a natural looking color, not necessarily a specific one.

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 3 days ago
post #5 of 5

Maybe you can paint the deer brown with a sponge and start scratching the hairs with a pin.  Just an idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%