Treenut Allergy

Baking By Joysarbaugh Updated 3 Dec 2018 , 4:35pm by Rachel_n_VA

Joysarbaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joysarbaugh Posted 1 Dec 2018 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 6

Help!  I'm making a wedding cake for a good friend of mine and her fiance has a treenut allergy.   My concern is the frosting.   I want to find an alternative to Crisco,  since it has palm oil in it.  I don't want to use all butter, because I'd like the frosting to crust nicely.  I shoulld also mention his allergy is actually to anything that comes off a tree.   Thanks in advance!  Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm totally stumped!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2018 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 6

all butter American buttercream icing crusts -- 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Dec 2018 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 6

And I thought I had allergies :(  Sounds like a job I'd stay away from w/a 10 ft pole.   But K8 is right.....it's the ratio of fat to sugar what makes a icing crust.  The LESS fat & more sugar the more it will crust. 

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 1 Dec 2018 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 6

Are you sure he is allergic to palm oil. It’s a very unusual allergy. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Dec 2018 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, all butter icing does crust if the right ratios are used.  I would be afraid to make a cake (or anything else) for someone who has severe allergies, since I've used all kinds of nuts, peanut butter, coconut oil, etc.  

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 3 Dec 2018 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 6

Check with the bride and groom for details.  My daughter has a tree nut allergy, but has no problem at all with refined oils.  Her allergist explained to us that the proteins are removed during the refining process so she can safely eat them.  I wouldn't suggest that is true for everyone, obviously, but this guy is probably well aware of what he can and can't have.  Run the ingredients list by him first.

That said, I almost always use all-butter buttercream just because I like it better. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%