Non-Edible Figurines On Cake

Decorating By Bmarco Updated 28 Nov 2018 , 6:07pm by ypierce82

Bmarco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bmarco Posted 27 Nov 2018 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 5

My son's 6th birthday is this weekend and he wants a pokemon cake.  I usually make all figurines for cakes, but honestly.... they take a long time to make and then get thrown out in two seconds.

Other option was to buy figurines to place on top so that he can actually keep them afterwards; however, I'm thinking it might look super tacky.  Anyone have a strong preference either way?

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Nov 2018 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 5

I've seen adorable cakes with fondant figures and I've seen adorable cakes with purchased, plastic figures.  What difference does it make if the birthday child is happy?  And, yes he will still have the figures to enjoy later.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Nov 2018 , 6:56am
post #3 of 5

My personal feeling?   It's a birthday for a 6 year old!    Not the guests, not the parents, not the people who normally admire and "ooh and ahhh" over the time-intensive fondant figures that get pitched.   

Trust me, your 6 year old doesn't even know what a "tacky" cake looks like--that's an adult perspective.   Your kid wants Pokeman toys!   If he and the other kids have to lick off frosting, so much the better.  

The mark of a truly successful birthday party for a kid and his 6 year old friends is that they don't even care about cake,  lunch, or anything except having lots and lots of fun as they run around screaming. 

I vote for Super-Tacky with as many Pokeman plastic figures jammed on that cake as possible!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Nov 2018 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 5

Apti said it sooooo well. Follow her suggestions.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Nov 2018 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 5

I have always used plastic figurines on my kid's cakes because sculpting is way above my pay grade, my cakes have never looked tacky, and they got to keep the toppers to play with later. My daughter wanted a My Little Pony cake, and she literally shoved every single pony we bought on the cake lol it was what she wanted and she was happy. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%