I Need Ideas

Decorating By CLW Updated 26 Nov 2018 , 6:09am by CLW

CLW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CLW Posted 24 Nov 2018 , 6:05am
post #1 of 8

Ok. I've been commissioned to do a cake for my brother who is turning 60. His kids want to incorporate things he'd enjoyed doing in his life. This is their wants:

1) he owns an auto shop business

2) he owns a large farm that belonged to our grandparents which he dearly loves and goes out to daily

3) he loves antiques

4) he loves old cars and tractors

5) he owns an auto wrecker service

6) he is married and has 3 kids and 4 grands

7) he used to hunt and fish but not much any more

8) he loves fast cars

I NEED help trying to figure out how to incorporate all this. I did one for  a friend that sort of told a story of his life with a fondant reel and filmstrip with little snapshots done on edible paper and wrapped around all over. But I really don't think everyone "get" that one. Ideas?

7 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2018 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 8

The photo album idea is good.  Are there photos of him in most of those activities?  I mean, real photos?  You could do a 'this is your life' cake.  I've done several.  Don't know how big your cake order is but all you need is any sized sheet cake - cut it in 1/2 long ways so you have two long, narrow 'bars'. & place them one after the other into a long 'road'.  Or if you happen to have a horseshoe pan cut it & Place them one after the other  in the shape of a shallow "S".  Wrap the photos in plastic wrap and adhere to toothpicks or sucker stick (Scotch tape works fine & no it won't harm the photos) and stand them up across the top of the cake in yr to yr fashion.  It;s hard to describ in words........wish I still had a pic for you to see.  Then all you need to do is border the cake.   I did that for a lady who didn't celebrate ANY holidays including b'days but her mom wanted to mark her 40th b'day.  They loved it.   It was 24" long X 4" wide (having been baked in a 9x13 pan). 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2018 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 8

one of my favorite cake designs was a "this is your life" cake -- and I put it all on a topsy turvy cake -- just put little vignettes all over -- love doing those -- it makes sense to the  honoree and the attendees and that's all that counts -- you can have whatever décor on the cake itself then just plant little things all over -- easy peasy

four of the items are about cars -- just go for it 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2018 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 8

the cake looking whimsical helps I guess -- and it's a greater price with the topsy turvy but I love doing those

CLW Posted 26 Nov 2018 , 6:08am
post #6 of 8

Oh my goodness y'all! Thank you! I think I'll do the photo album cake! I have an edible ink printer. I'll just scan and download some pics of him throughout his life! The cake is going to be huge. 175 friends and family. But that's ok cause I have a lot to put on it. Thank you all again!

CLW Posted 26 Nov 2018 , 6:09am
post #7 of 8

Oh my goodness y'all! Thank you! I think I'll do the photo album cake! I have an edible ink printer. I'll just scan and download some pics of him throughout his life! The cake is going to be huge. 175 friends and family. But that's ok cause I have a lot to put on it. Thank you all again!

CLW Posted 26 Nov 2018 , 6:09am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%