How Do I Get These Star Shapes On A Cake?

Decorating By mrmajeika Updated 14 Nov 2018 , 3:36pm by -K8memphis

mrmajeika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrmajeika Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 5

Want to decorate a cake like this 

http://www.catladybakery.com/cake/cake-15/

Just wondering if anyone can think of an easy way to get the icing sugar in starts like that. I don't have a cutout sheet to do it. Are there any templates online that I can print of and cut round? I could do it by hand on a piece of paper by hand but a template would be neater. Or maybe any other suggestions for a nice pattern with icing sugar?

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 5

I would just print off a star, cut the inside out, and use a paint brush to apply the sugar. Maybe a star cookie cutter and just do it one at a time.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 5

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+template&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS708US708&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=JXJA1XSTiBWYIM%253A%252CDg6f2M7kVFYKZM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQ8H8hqhT0tfNDlxB6Mvww47N1mow&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin_Pffj9TeAhXCmeAKHWJjBp0Q9QEwA3oECAAQCg#imgrc=JXJA1XSTiBWYIM:

The above is the link to a million star templates.  Print out the size you want and cut it out and dust with powdered sugar.  ypierce82's idea of using a cookie cutter would work great, too, but in reverse. It would yield a negative image of the one shown in the picture.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 5

i just wanna say be sure the top of your cake is flat flat flat  -- if it is rounded the template won't lay flat on it and the star detail will get lost -- in fact i would trim the top of the cake layer so it is flat then turn it upside down and use that  --

see the 'grill' marks on the top of the cake -- it's pretty flat -- but if you use the bottom of the layer you won't see those

and i would put the powdered sugar in a strainer -- hold it over the star and tap the side of the strainer -- easy peasy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 5

oh yeah -- and if it's traveling anywhere -- box it so no wind or air can disturb the sugar

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%