Need Help, Cake Due In 12Hrs

Baking By BakedbyMommy Updated 15 Nov 2018 , 3:54am by SandraSmiley

BakedbyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyMommy Posted 10 Nov 2018 , 8:15am
post #1 of 12

Someone asked for this cake.... Need Help, Cake Due In 12Hrs

Seems pretty simple to me, especially since its BC and not fondant. My issue is that she wants it for 12 to 15 ppl. In my opinion, i need to use a sheet cake for this, as it is longer. I made 2-9x13 sheets (one as backup in case I mess it up). My plan is to torte, fill and carve one cake. My issue is that I feel one sheet cake might be too short? I then thought, maybe make it 3 layers, by torting a layer from the second cake and carving? I only charged $120 and I feel that I'm making it out to be more work than it has to be.

One 9x13 feeds up to 50 ppl but i figured since im carving it, it should be fine and I could use the scraps for cakesicles or something. 

Can anyone offer advice on how to nail this cake? Also, how do you guys charge for sheets? It was my very first one and everywhere I go, it says to charge way less. I was stuck when she approached me. 

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2018 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 12

i'm too late here -- but just measure it -- it's 3 x 7 inches on my computer screen -- so then multiply to get the size you want -- you want it smaller multiply by .5 -- you'll have a 1.5x3.5 -- you want it bigger multiply by 2 for a 6x14 -- then your proportions stay the same --

a 6x14 cake that's 2" tall -- you'll get 21  servings that are 2x2"-- if it's 4" tall you'll get 42 servings that are 1x2x4

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Nov 2018 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 12

This is not exactly a sheet cake.  It is carved and is a 2D sculptured cake.

BakedbyMommy Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 9:58am
post #4 of 12

@k8memphis @SandraSmiley It's never too late! thank you so much for the info. I actually never knew to do that! I didn't do that method but I was close, I did a 9x13, which states it is up to 50 servings. For sheets, do you go with standard or wedding servings? 

Any way, I ended up doing the cake and I think I made it a bit bigger than they paid for, but I was getting frustrated since it was a last minute order. I had less than 24hrs to complete this and ended up not having enough time to let the crumb coat chill. I think I managed to let it chill for about 20 minutes. the BC was dried and set but, I think, my problem was that since it's cold, the BC was drying too fast when applied, which caused the final layer to disturb the crumb coating. I even tried a warm spatula by dipping in water. It helped but I didn't have any more time and therefore had to spend the last 10 minutes rushing. I started off fine, but what threw me off was that I had to bake another cake. My first 2 (yes...i said 2) came out brown and I think that might have been because I used a darker pan (walmart literally only had 2 left in the dark non stick shade unfortunately). They darkened too much on the bottoms and sides and the caked browned as well, but tasted delicious. I baked my third cake in a light aluminum pan and it was perfect. I also didn't realize that the edible sheet was printed with the wrong size logo. It should have been 5x5 but this one measure 3.5 x 3.5. 

I started off doing a great job, the cake was delicious, and I had a great design plan... but then the time messed me up and I got nervous and lost all confidence. I wish I could have at least did the wording all over again because it looks rushed and sloppy. Overall, She was ecstatic and super impressed with it, especially because I  also through in 4 extra cupcakes that I had made with extra batter lol. This is not a cake I want on my website. 

My criticisms/what I would fix: I would have made the cup shorter and the whipped cream portion a bit larger, I would have used the same #3 tip to write but take my time, and make the logo bigger. I don't know about the BC. 

Just wondering, How do you smooth a cake with streaks and air holes? I feel that once I fixed one side, the streak was on the other side and I was back at square one.

Also, Since I used a sheet, is it still considered a 2d carved cake? Was I supposed to use a sheet?

Thank you!

Need Help, Cake Due In 12HrsNeed Help, Cake Due In 12Hrs

BakedbyMommy Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 10:12am
post #5 of 12

Oh and I need to make a cake for 80 people due wednesday. I was just going to make a 12x18 sheet cake. It says 72 to 98 servings but there will be other desserts like pie and lots of food. Do you think this is too much? Tips for making 3 to 4 batches of batter? I have a 5qt KA and I usually do 2 batches at a time. 

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 12

Your frosting looks good to me. I am not the best at getting a perfect finish, but I have seen videos where a flexible sheet of acetate is used to smooth buttercream on rounded shapes.  I have not tried it, but I have my acetate ready!  Overall, your cake looks great and since your customer thought so too, you should be happy.  Tuck away your experiences to help you in the future.

It doesn't matter what size or shape pan you start with, if you carve it into another shape, it is a carved cake.

I always provide a little more cake than was requested to compensate for a heavy handed server (but I am not a pro depending upon cakes for a living).  Your 12" x 18" sheet cake should be plenty for 80 people considering that other desserts will be served.  I make two batches of batter in my 5 quart KA, too.  I have a larger mixer, but I  prefer making no more than two batches at a time. My oven will not hold more anyway, so it works for me.

BakedbyMommy Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 7:20am
post #7 of 12

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 15 hours ago

Your frosting looks good to me. I am not the best at getting a perfect finish, but I have seen videos where a flexible sheet of acetate is used to smooth buttercream on rounded shapes.  I have not tried it, but I have my acetate ready!  

Thank you! I heard about acetate and need to buy some asap. I used an offset spatula and scraper and it just kept leaving streaks. 

Overall, your cake looks great and since your customer thought so too, you should be happy.  Tuck away your experiences to help you in the future.

Thank you for the positive feedback. Yes, she was happy with it. 

It doesn't matter what size or shape pan you start with, if you carve it into another shape, it is a carved cake.

Got it! I honestly didn't know the difference. 

I always provide a little more cake than was requested to compensate for a heavy handed server (but I am not a pro depending upon cakes for a living).  Your 12" x 18" sheet cake should be plenty for 80 people considering that other desserts will be served.

I agree with you. I made it a little bigger because kids always want seconds and I would prefer more than less. I think the 12x18 is perfect too. luckily, It's a really plain cake. 

I make two batches of batter in my 5 quart KA, too.  I have a larger mixer, but I  prefer making no more than two batches at a time. My oven will not hold more anyway, so it works for me.

I just bought an extra bowl for my KA mixer. I'm baking from home, so I'd rather another bowl VS another appliance. My stove has two racks. I could fit three 6" pans or two 10" pans on one rack. Is it not a good idea to bake so much at a time?

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 12

I've never baked on more than one rack at a time, but I see them do it on The Great British Bakeoff all the time.  I just feel more safe putting the rack in the middle of the oven, approximately equidistance from the top and lower elements.  My oven was a standard or convection either one.  Perhaps it would have worked well using two shelves of cakes if the fan was used, but I never got the hang of it.  I say "had" because my oven recently died and I have a new one on order.  

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 12

You do not have to invest a lot of money in the flexible smoothers.  The plastic or acetate file folders used in business or school are a good consistency and can be cut to any shape and size you need and they are really inexpensive, readily available at Walmart of the Dollar Store.

BakedbyMommy Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 2:27am
post #10 of 12

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 2 days ago

I've never baked on more than one rack at a time, but I see them do it on The Great British Bakeoff all the time.  I just feel more safe putting the rack in the middle of the oven, approximately equidistance from the top and lower elements.  My oven was a standard or convection either one.  Perhaps it would have worked well using two shelves of cakes if the fan was used, but I never got the hang of it.  I say "had" because my oven recently died and I have a new one on order.  

I've done it before and it works out ok, but I do need to stay on top of it to be sure everything is good. I also alternate. So if I have 2 racks with 2 cakes each, I'll switch them halfway through. I have a standard oven, no convection or fan. A new oven, NICE! I am renting in a house right now. I can't wait until we buy and I can hopefully buy a nice big stove or 2 stoves lol.

BakedbyMommy Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 2:30am
post #11 of 12

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 2 days ago

You do not have to invest a lot of money in the flexible smoothers.  The plastic or acetate file folders used in business or school are a good consistency and can be cut to any shape and size you need and they are really inexpensive, readily available at Walmart of the Dollar Store.

So it would be something like this: http://a.co/d/7wFasaJ

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Nov 2018 , 3:54am
post #12 of 12

That is exactly what I meant, BakedbyMommy.  They are flexible, but strong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%