Help! Royal Icing Will Not Whip Up

Decorating By CeejSweets Updated 8 Nov 2018 , 1:52am by cutiger

CeejSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeejSweets Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 5

I need help because my royal icing will not whip up!!  I have made 4 batches now and still get the same results. I’ve washed my mixing bowl and all the other accessories to remove any possible grease, whipped my meringue powder with water to get foam (my first step), changed to a new package of meringue powder (expires 9/2019), any other different steps but still getting the same results. 

This is my first time to receive failed results (just a batch of glob). And yes it’s humid here but no different than usual. 

any comments or suggestions on helping out?  

4 replies
inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know, I don't do that as a step. I add the powdered sugar first and then the meringue powder, water, any flavorings, etc, then whip it up all together. Never had any problems. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 5

Could it be you are impaient - not whipping it enough?  It's been years since I've made royal but it seems to me to take a long time.  I've even made fondant using my whipped royal w/o problems. 

CeejSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeejSweets Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 5

#kakeladi I thought the same thing and a couple of the batches I whipped at least 10 minutes and still it was just a big glob.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 8 Nov 2018 , 1:52am
post #5 of 5

Here is a link to Antonia's Royal Icing recipe:  https://thebearfootbaker.com/2011/12/antonis-royal-icing/

Works like a charm every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%