Sleeping Fondant Unicorns

Sugar Work By msrk2k17 Updated 5 Nov 2018 , 4:33pm by SandraSmiley

msrk2k17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msrk2k17 Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 11:35am
post #1 of 14

Sleeping Fondant Unicornsguys i need to make these sleeping unicorn figures and it seems to me that in this picture there is no seam where the limbs are attached to the body. How do we make our fondant figures seamless? Please help me guys. When i make the figures i always end up with cracks on the how do i fix that. Any tips for making these sleeping unicorns would be appreciated please help me out guys

13 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 14

For seamless figures, modeling chocolate works a lot better than fondant.  For either medium, I use a dresden tool to smooth the seams together.

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 14

For seamless figures, modeling chocolate works a lot better than fondant.  For either medium, I use a dresden tool to smooth the seams together.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 14

Sandra has done MUCH more than I have...her way probably is bes :)  But....... another approach might be to make the body a bit  bigger than you need and cut a slit where you want an arm or leg, then roll that small portion into a 'log'arm/leg. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 14

besides that -- arm and leg joins are where it's ok to have a seam -- i understand you want seamless -- but still just saying -- i'd poke a hole in the side of the body and insert the limb -- geez that sounds painful -- ha! but of course you're doing your best not to wake them up too -- so maybe go easy on the whole poking holes in 'em thing  --

poultry_leg <<< "oh no you di-ent" -- "oh yes i did" -- (just being silly) stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 12:53am
post #6 of 14

I agree with both methods that kakeladi and -K8memphis outlined.  With the little unicorns, I don't think a seam showing where the legs ajoin the body would be even noticed and not a all unattractive or distracting.  I just did my first Rainbow Dash and I just stuck his legs on - in an indent -with tooth picks.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 6:01am
post #7 of 14

@SandraSmiley I want to see that Rainbow Dash!!!

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 6:05am
post #8 of 14

Do you think it can possibly be a mold that someone has made? I found something similar on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/631305462/new-arrival-3d-unicorn-mold-unicorn?ref=related-1

Maybe that will be helpful. I couldn't imagine making multiple matching figures. One is hard enough for me. lol

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 14

Here's Rainbow Dash.  This was my first My Little Pony, but I have an Icing Smiles cake next month in that theme, so I have many more to do.  I am sure I will learn a lot!Sleeping Fondant Unicorns

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 14

I suppose the unicorns pictured could be a mold, but I doubt it, with those legs extended as they are.  It would not be a concern to me whether or not all of them looked alike.  Gosh knows, I doubt all of my ponies will look alike...or even be the same size, yikes!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 14

he's adorable, sandra

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 12:05am
post #12 of 14

Thank you, -K8memphis!  I really struggle with cute, cartoon type figures.  I don't have too much trouble if I have something to look at.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 4:30am
post #13 of 14

I love it! Super cute! Can't wait to see the rest!!! There must be a large calling for Icing Smiles cake in TN! I know the last one I did drove over 2 hours to me for pickup!!

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 14

Not really, GIGGLEBOX2014, and I don't understand it.  This cake is for the sister of the little boy for whom I've done his birthday cake for the last two years.  This will be only my third in three years, and they are all for the same family.  I think there is a good possibility that not that many people know about the Icing Smiles program, because I know there are lots of people who qualify.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%