Need Help With Ingredients

Baking By BakedbyMommy Updated 6 Nov 2018 , 11:20pm by kakeladi

BakedbyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyMommy Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 5:47am
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone! I want to start my holiday orders with some cupcakes or cakes inspired by drinks. For ex: Coquito (puerto rican eggnog). I would have to incorporate coconut cream, coconut milk, condensed milk, and most importantly, rum into this cake. I really want it to taste like a coconut/cinnamon drink basically. The buttercream is easy for me because I could add a bit of coconut extract, a tbsp of coconut cream, and cinnamon to get a good taste. 

My question...How do I add these ingredients without making my cake sink, becoming too dense, or worst, not baking correctly?

Can i sub the normal liquid for coconut milk? Coconut cream is sweet and is creamy with a syrup, so can I cut the sugar and use that instead? I only want to use a bit of condensed milk, maybe like 2 tbsp's. 

Also, when using alcohol in cakes, do I add it on top of the liquid? or should I do half the liquid and half alcohol?

Thank you!

5 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 7:34am
post #2 of 6

I made a pina colada cake by adding desicated coconut to the cake mix and replacing all the milk with coconut milk. Alcohol in cake mix just cooks out so I brushed the cakes with a rum syrup after baking. I filled the cake with pineapple jam and covered in buttercream made with part butter, part coconut cream. 

Hope that helps. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 6

I agree w/the other poster except for the part about the rum cooking out.  Yes, some of the alchole does evaporate but it still leaves flavor in there so do both......add to batter and then brush over the baked cake when it comes out of the oven & still hot.

BakedbyMommy Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you! Good to know.

BakedbyMommy Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 6

@kakeladi Thanks! What about adding something like coconut cream or condensed milk into a cake? Should I also add more flour? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 6

..........What about adding something like coconut cream or condensed milk into a cake? Should I also add more flour? ..........

I do not bake from scratch so can't help you out on the recipe additions :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%