Airbrushing Planet Onto Cake

Decorating By HajraK Updated 14 Nov 2018 , 4:13pm by Bmarco

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 1 Nov 2018 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys, I’m making a galaxy cale for an auction and I’d like to add planets onto it. it will be coated in white buttercream. Aside from adding an airbrushed fondant circle, is there a way I can airbrush a circle directly onto the buttercream without messing it up? I’ve never done it before and don’t want to make a mess of the cake. Thanks!

3 replies
Bmarco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bmarco Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 4

It may be too late - not sure when you are making the cake, but I airbrush a lot - because I think it's  super simple way to add a lot of depth to your cake decor.  

I've only airbrushed one buttercream cake and will never do it again.  For me, I found that the slightest ding or nick to your cake and the icing shows because it's only a very thin layer of color on the outside.  Maybe I'm not careful enough, but you can brush up against fondant, dent, etc. and it won't effect the airbrush... on buttercream, there is no fixing it.

post #3 of 4

It may be too late - not sure when you are making the cake, but I airbrush a lot - because I think it's  super simple way to add a lot of depth to your cake decor.  

I've only airbrushed one buttercream cake and will never do it again.  For me, I found that the slightest ding or nick to your cake and the icing shows because it's only a very thin layer of color on the outside.  Maybe I'm not careful enough, but you can brush up against fondant, dent, etc. and it won't effect the airbrush... on buttercream, there is no fixing it.

post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%