Covering A Huge Cake Board With Fondant

Decorating By lindagal Updated 11 Mar 2019 , 5:33pm by SandraSmiley

lindagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindagal Posted 22 Oct 2018 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making a stadium cake and my  board is 24 x 32".  I'm thinking I will roll my fondant out directly on the board since I don't have a mat big enough and transferring such a huge piece of fondant will be next to impossible.  Does anyone have experience with this?  The board is a piece of melamine shelving so I think I can dust it with cornstarch, then once it is rolled out and trimmed I can lift the edges to brush on some water to glue it down.

Has anyone done this or have any tips for me?

Thanks, Linda

15 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 22 Oct 2018 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 16

I don't see why your plan wouldn't work.  The only issues I could see happening is that you aren't able to get the fondant rolled evenly, plus the edges of the board could hinder how you are able to roll the fondant.  I would probably just roll it out on your counter-top (I only use a mat when working with small amounts of fondant...for rolling larger amounts of covering a cake a clean counter-top dusted with powdered sugar works perfectly), trim it so it is slightly larger than the board, roll the sheet up on your rolling pin and slide it onto the board.

lindagal Posted 22 Oct 2018 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 16

thank you Freckles0829!  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Oct 2018 , 12:25am
post #4 of 16

My counter tops are tile, so no area large enough to roll the fondant directly on the cabinet.  I would do it exactly as you plan or roll out stipes and apply in pieces.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 23 Oct 2018 , 1:11am
post #5 of 16

I would do it in strips and only put fondant on the areas that won't be covered by the cake board that will be sitting on it - doing it this way you could actually sit your cake on the board then place fondant on the display board around the cake board. 

This will save you a lot of fondant if most of the display board will be covered with the cake anyway.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Oct 2018 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 16

bubs1stb'day I had the same thoughts. 

lindagal Posted 18 Jan 2019 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 16

I ended up rolling it directly onto the board as I planned and it worked great!  Thanks for all the advice!Covering A Huge Cake Board With FondantCovering A Huge Cake Board With FondantCovering A Huge Cake Board With Fondant

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2019 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 16

Glad we could help,  And...how nice to see you :)   Isn't itnice to have thisplace toget the hlpone needs?  Sure there are a few glitches on this board now &then but overall it is so wonderful to have this outlet for our creative energys :)   Thanks for showing us such a BIG undertaking and so well done!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2019 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 16

fantastic work, lindagal -- how long did it take you -- it is massive and wonderful!!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 12:47am
post #10 of 16

It looks wonderful!  Amazing cake, Linda!

lindagal Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 16

omg I figured between the design time and the actual making close to 100 hours!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 16

it is fabulous!!!!!!!!

lindagal Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you so much!  It's Nebraska Cornhuskers and it went viral on FB in Nebraska! 

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 12:35am
post #14 of 16

I bet it did! too cool!

lindagal Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 3:40pm
post #15 of 16

Yes, this forum really is wonderful, thanks so much to all you awesome cakers!  Everyone here is so supportive and wonderful, I have learned so much!!

Kakeladi, I've made so many cakes with versions of your WASC it is the BEST!  Thanks for posting, I kinda feel like I've had a brush with celebrity!  :)

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 5:33pm
post #16 of 16

Kakeladi, I've made so many cakes with versions of your WASC it is the BEST!  Thanks for posting, I kinda feel like I've had a brush with celebrity!  :)

Haha, that is exactly how I feel, lindagal!  It tickled me pink to actually meet the creator of this wonderful recipe which I had already been using for years!  I don't even like movie stars, sports figures or any usual celebrities, but I admit to being a little bit in awe of kakeladi and -K8memphis!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%