Tall Springform Pan?

Baking By markbkk Updated 22 Oct 2018 , 2:55pm by Freckles0829

markbkk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbkk Posted 22 Oct 2018 , 6:21am
post #1 of 6

I recently got a tall, round Springform pan. 

It's 16cm (6.3") in diameter and 12.9cm (5.1")  tall. 

To bake a cake, I believe I should fill it about 2/3 full (high).

I tried it once, but the cake bubbled while baking (air escaping) and then collapsed in the middle while still baking.  I admit I probably overmixed the batter. 

However, I wonder if I tall pan like this is suitable for a normal cake recipe? That's my question. Is this pan too tall that a cake can't support itself?

Thank

Mark 

Tall Springform Pan?Tall Springform Pan?

5 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 22 Oct 2018 , 10:13am
post #2 of 6

Even though that is only about 6" around... that would still worry me that the middle wouldn't cook properly...

I would use that pan for bread possibly... 

Or just to make a taller tier, but not a full 5" tall tier... even with cheesecake...

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help...

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 22 Oct 2018 , 10:13am
post #3 of 6

Even though that is only about 6" around... that would still worry me that the middle wouldn't cook properly...

I would use that pan for bread possibly... 

Or just to make a taller tier, but not a full 5" tall tier... even with cheesecake...

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help...

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Oct 2018 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with AAtKT, I would never try to bake a cake that tall and cannot imagine for what purpose the tin was intended.  I always use heating cores/nails when baking, even for pans as small as six inches and it helps insure the center cooks at the same rate as the outside.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 22 Oct 2018 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 6

I too would never try to bake a cake in such a tall pan.  Well I would never try to bake a 5+ inch tall cake.  If I had a pan like this and I was in a bind where all my other pans were being used I would fill it to get a 2-3" tall cake but I wouldn't push it further than that.

I find a similar pan on amazon and most of the reviews noted that it was perfect for to make panettone or kulich.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%