Pricing And Products

Business By sweetiev Updated 17 Oct 2018 , 3:05pm by -K8memphis

sweetiev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiev Posted 16 Oct 2018 , 1:20am
post #1 of 3

Hey y’all!

I will soon be new to the “owner” side of the baking world. I’m currently in school for business, so I understand markups and such, but of course they don’t target the baking world in business school. So I figured I would come to the Pros!!

Currently I work in a bakery that makes custom cakes (and the storefront offers cupcakes, cookies, etc.)

I don’t think I want to have custom cakes in my own shop, but this has been my life for awhile now so I’m a little nervous about doing anything else.

I’m curious about “single servings” like cupcakes, cookies, etc. (kind of like Nothing Bundt Cakes). Still offering special orders, but not beautifully put together wedding/birthday cakes. SO all that to say:

How many shops have ONLY cupcakes? What’s your pricing? Are they “regular” or Jumbo cupcakes? How many flavors do you offer daily?

What about mini cakes (less than 4 inch)? What do you usually charge for the naked ones? How do you display them and get them home? 

Thank you in advance!!! 

V

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2018 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 3

There are or have been many cupcake only shops.  Try googling it.  The only one I can remember right off is (I think) called "Sprinkles".  I've heard that cupcakes only are loosing favor and many shops have or are closing. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 3

while you have to focus on a certain product line -- unless you are wholesaling or have a unique location like near an amusement park -- limiting yourself to one serving at at time could be a deal killer imo -- people would want both -- look at the bundt cake place -- one basic product line with several sizes -- offering a choice is important to capture all the market you can

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%